none
Port forwarding to a VPN server

Question

• I have a server in my LAN, behind a router.
    I want to enable my users to remote access using VPN. I added the RRAS role to my server and set up the VPN.

What ports I have to forward in my router/firewall to the server to enable my users to connect to it?

I could not find any documents about it. I'm probably searching with the wrong terms.

Thanks
    Erick
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:12 PM

Answers

•     Have you checked your VPN config? Can you connect from a LAN machine to the server's LAN IP?

What you need to do on the router depends on what type of VPN connection you have set up. If you are using PPTP you need to forward PPTP which is tcp port 1723. You also need to make sure that your router does not block GRE. Note that GRE is an IP protocol, not a port.
    Bill
    • Marked as answer by Erick Sasse Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:48 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:19 PM

All replies

•     Have you checked your VPN config? Can you connect from a LAN machine to the server's LAN IP?

What you need to do on the router depends on what type of VPN connection you have set up. If you are using PPTP you need to forward PPTP which is tcp port 1723. You also need to make sure that your router does not block GRE. Note that GRE is an IP protocol, not a port.
    Bill
    • Marked as answer by Erick Sasse Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:48 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Thanks Bill, that did the trick. My router was blocking GRE.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:49 PM