none
Windows System Update Readiness Tool fails to run on Windows Server 2008

Question

• I'm trying to fix 2 problems.

The original problem is that Server Manager will not display any Roles information.

The error it gives is: Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager:No signature was present int he subject. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800B0100)

When troubleshooting this, I discovered I need to install the "Windows System Update Readiness Tool".

I am trying to install this MANUALLY and when I run the Standalone Installer it fails to install hotfix KB947821. It simply says "the following updates were not installed: Hotfix for Windows (KB947821).

So, now I am stuck. I still cannot solve the original problem and the suggested fix also causes an error.

Windows 2008 Standard, SP1 (can't install further updates until I resolves the above 2 [problems)

Any ideas?

thanks

Monday, November 08, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"Features" under "Server Manager" does not come up and getting error "Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager: No Signature was present in the subject. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800B0100)". This issue is caused by corruptions in Component Store - Missing manifest file (MUM) and catalog (CAT) files on the Server. To resolve this problem, you need to restore the missing MUM and CAT files to the following location %windir%/servicing/packages. For detailed solution, please refer to the following article:

How to fix Server Manager Errors after installing updates (HRESULT:0x800F0818 / HRESULT:0x800B0100)

As the article says, you need to run System Update Readiness Tool firstly. I noticed that you can’t install System Update Readiness Tool successfully, basically there are several factors:

l   Incompatible version of update trying to install

l   None-enough permissions

l   Network problem

To troubleshoot installing update, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Remove the update from the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, then re-download the update with the right version, if you have a 32bit Operating System, download the x86 version. If you have a 64bit Windows Server 2008, download the x64 version.

2.     Log on with Administrator account, run the following command to scan the system files:

SFC /SCANNOW

3.     You may perform a Clean Boot to obtain System Update Readiness Tool so as to eliminate third party software conflicts.

BTW, if the issue persists, please check in Event Viewer and see if any error is logged related to Windows Update.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:39 AM