none
Reason to use Standard vs Enterprise vs DataCenter in VM

Question

• I am setting up a new server with WS2008R2 DataCenter with the Hyper-V role. Under the DataCenter use rights, I can create unlimited VMs using DataCenter or Enterprise or Standard editions.

The question is this: If my expected use of the VM is within the feature set of Standard edition, is there a difference between installing Standard vs Enterprise vs DataCenter in a VM and using only those features? Put another way, does a DataCenter VM use more resources (disk, processor, memory) than a Standard or Enterprise VM if none of the Enterprise or DataCenter roles or features are added? Is there a benefit to overall resources to install Standard edition or does it matter if they are all DataCenter edition VMs?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• It doesn´t metter. Basic installation is "same" in any version. Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter Edition use same number of resources...I think, that the best way is installing Datacenter Edition, because you can use advanced features in Hyper-V R2 SP1 - hot swap Processors, memory, etc.

• Proposed as answer by Jiří Janata Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:53 PM
  • I found with a lot of DC HyperV hosts that it really doesn't matter what you put on there as the VMs.  They will act the same.  The only reason I can think of to use the OS version that fits your server role, is if you were to ever need to V2P migration.  Then you might want a Standard Edition versus a Datacenter Edition for something small like a Domain Controller.  Might be a little difference in sizing of the VHDs, but it can't be but a tiny bit at most.

Not that you would probably ever go V2P, but it's something to think about.

Chris

• Proposed as answer by inverted_2000a Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:02 PM
  • There is a misconception that Enterprise runs better than Standard and Datacenter is the most stable.  Each edition provides a set of features and services.  Take a look at this link to go over the various editions.

Overview of Editions

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-editions-overview.aspx 

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:31 PM