Windows server 2016 standard activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have 10 Windows server 2012 R2 which are all activated using Windows server 2012 R2 standard keys. I wanted to upgrade these servers to Windows Server 2016 sandard. My question is, after the upgrade will the windows server 2012 R2 key will remain intact or i will have to activate the servers again with Windows server 2016 key.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Saturday, September 1, 2018 5:20 AM

Answers

• You'll need to activate Server 2016 with product key from same channel as install media.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Saturday, September 1, 2018 1:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pranay Bhagat Monday, September 3, 2018 7:21 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:44 PM

All replies

• You'll need to activate Server 2016 with product key from same channel as install media.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Saturday, September 1, 2018 1:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pranay Bhagat Monday, September 3, 2018 7:21 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

The KMS role and its activation products cannot be automatically transferred to another server, and when the upgrade occurs, there is a change in significant hardware and reactivation is also possible, so it is recommended that you activate the servers again with windows server 2016 key.

Best regards,

Hurry yang

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:27 AM