none
2K8 DFSR Replication not working

Question

• We moved from 2003 servers to 2008 servers a few months ago, recently we noticed that replication between server1 & server2 is not working, as the initial copy from the primary to the secondary semed ok, but nothing has replicated since. When you run the health diagnostics in DFS it appears to indicate no issue and all is ok, but nothing is actually replicating from 1 to 2.

when i run dfsrsdiag backlog on either server says there's nothing in backlog. I have a feeling it might have never worked since the initail copy, but found another utility which shows me the below, what does this mean? replciation should be one way server1 to server2

UPDATE:

Dfsradmin Membership List /RGname:Rep_group_namef/attr:MemName,RFName,IsPrimary

Both servers show No to Primary, is this absolutely required? as other servsr with DFS shares have this option of no for all mebers but they are replicating OK

• Edited by wb14 Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:44 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If initial replicaiton is finished, it is common that there is no primary server.

Here are the steps to clear database and redo the initial replication. You could first test the step 8 only to see if it could help. If not then try the clear database steps.

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <ServerA> server (don't just simply stop it)

2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive

3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"

7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <ServerA> server

8.       We will then set the <ServerA> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from ServerA to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If initial replicaiton is finished, it is common that there is no primary server.

Here are the steps to clear database and redo the initial replication. You could first test the step 8 only to see if it could help. If not then try the clear database steps.

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <ServerA> server (don't just simply stop it)

2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive

3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"

7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <ServerA> server

8.       We will then set the <ServerA> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from ServerA to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:19 AM
  • I dont want to lose any data on server 1 by doing this ? Will your suggestion lose any data or affect users?
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:21 AM
  • The answer a Little late is no, it won't.

Just repeat the steps that Shan suggested in both servers, then, delete de second target folder, and eliminate de replication group, then re-add the second target folder and It would work just fine! :) I just did it on a Windows Server 2012 STD

Monday, October 07, 2013 10:36 PM
  • For what its worth, I had the 9098 error between a 2008R2 and a 2012 server running DFS-R. I had found another thread that suggested that I delete the RG, stop DFSR service on both servers, delete the DfsrPrivate folders on both ends, turn the service back on and re-establish the RG. I re-established the RG without deleting the data folder on the non-primary end.

Once done, it looked like the connections were made but the RG did not show up in the 2012 server (not the primary). After a few minutes, AD looked like it propagated and I got connection, but then I got the 4004 with the 9098 two or three times.

While checking out possible fixes (including this thread), I looked back and I had a 4002 event that indicated a successful initialization of the replicated folder. I ran "dfsrdiag replicationstate /all" on both ends. The primary end was 0,0,0,0, but the destination server had a constant stream of data. File and folder count on both server were different, but not changing. Apparently, DFS-R is making its way through the file structure, comparing checksums and moving files which needed to be moved. 

I like DFS, but it is a very confusing process for something that has been around since 2003R2. It is in desperate need of a GUI that shows status. Fixing it when it breaks is mind-numbing. Hopefully, all will be settled by the morning.

BTW, there was an unexpected power failure on the 2012 box, so I suspect that it corrupted the JET database and that is why it never completed the original replication a few weeks ago.

MCP SBSC

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:53 PM
  • can an initial replication be done over a WAN? 
    Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:51 PM
  • I am in sympathy with you about in desperate need of a GUI that shows status. I am hopefull that MS can provide the better GUI tools for DFS management
    Friday, January 26, 2018 8:01 AM