none
Recreate DFS Namespace and Replication Groups

Question

• I'm in a situation where I need to recreate my DFS namespace and associated Replication Groups and looking for advice on best way to proceed...

I have two replication member servers replicating over T1 WAN connection. I created a single namespace with a dozen or so folders and target folders along with replication groups corresponding to each top-level folder on our company file server. Some examples shown below:

However, I'm having bandwidth issues as each replication group is taking up its maximum allowable bandwidth, and when more than a few folders are being replicated at once, our T1 gets completely saturated.

So, to rememdy that, I'd like to create a single replication group that points to the root level of all of these folders (one level up). Then set the maximum allowable bandidth for that single replication group to something like 512KB. I'm guessing I need to delete the existing namespace folders / replication groups then create the single folder / replication group in it's place.

My question is, what is the best way to go about doing this? Here is what I'm thinking:

1) Delete replication groups / namespaces on primary namespace server.

2) Wait for changes to replicate to secondary namespace server

3) Create new single namespace / replication group on primary server

4) Wait for changes to replicate to secondary namespace server

5) Sit back and wait for initial replication to complete.

Any thoughts advice would be greatly appreciated!

Shaun
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• No, I'm pretty sure I'm replicating the target folders. Here are some screenshots with details of one of my replication groups:

Those details are pretty much identical for each of the replication groups.

Well, thanks for the input. It sounds to me like the way I have it configured is the right way, I just need to come up with an alternative method for this remote office to connect to the internet other than sharing the same pipe that DFSR is using.

Shaun
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Shaun,

Your steps are fine. However, before changing the structure, please have a look on this article for the qestion "If I use multiple root targets in a domain-based DFS namespace, do I need to enable replication on the root?"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh341468(v=ws.10).aspx

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:11 AM
  • I'm confused...

I'm using Server 2008 and don't have an option to create a "root target" inside of the DFS Management console. Is "Namespace Server" the Windows Server 2008 equivalent of "root target"? If I understand that article correctly, it's saying that the folder structure is created automatically when adding additional "root targets" (or namespace servers?). If so, it's not enough for me to just have the folder structure duplicated, I need the contents of these folders to be replicated across the WAN so the files are available locally in each geographically dispersed office.

My impression after reading that article is that the way I have it configured currently is the "recommended" way (multiple replication groups / folder targets), and that having a single replication group at the root level is discouraged. But I don't see any other way around my my current problem. Using my current config, I'm either saturating my WAN link by easing bandwidth restrictions even a little bit on all folders, or I keep bandwith limits at the minimum setting and have big delays in replication updates.

Shaun
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

you do not need to delete the DFS Namespace. DFS-R and DFS-N work together but can be used separated, meaning that if you can delete just the Replication Groups without deleting the folder.

If you do it through the dfsmgmt.msc navigate to your Replication Groups and click to delete the Confirm Delete Replication Group box appears asking you what action you want to take. If you want just to remove the Replication Group but keep users being able to access the namespace select the option Delete the replication group only.

After deleting your Replication Groups you can wait or go to your AD DS and force a Replication with the repadmin.exe tool.

Then create a single Replication Group with the desired bandwidth and times. Create in this replicated groups the Replicated Folders for your namespace. So far I remember your namespace folders will not have the green arrow indicating that they`re replicated because now you do not have a individual Repl. Group, but this is not something to worry. Check your Replication Health to see if everything is OK and if the Staging Quota is nice.

Give a look into this article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2007/10/05/top-10-common-causes-of-slow-replication-with-dfsr.aspx

Good luck :)

Thank you,

F. Schubert
    System Administrator
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

as my previous post, I think that you do not need to delete your Namespace. Create a new Replication Group and add all servers that you want to sync folders. Separate the idea from Namespace from Replication.

The Namespace will provide just the `virtual` overview from the folders as one unique tree. In fact the folders can be dispersed in multiple servers that do not have the DFS Namespace role. But all servers which shares that are being offered in the namespace with multiple targets must be members from the Replication Group and these folders must be sync.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask.

Thank you,

F. Schubert
    System Administrator
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hello,

I will not recommend that you set your replication groups at the root of the folders except your data size is very small say 100 GB or less. If your replication group is to big, then you may want to consider increasing the staging size as well. What I may suggest is that, you do a schedule replication from primary to secondary and dependng on how your users access data, force them to use only primary server at a time and then replicate at different intervals.

Also looking at the diagram you provided, it seems like you are replicating the namespace instead of the Target folders, is this correct? If that is the case you want to delete these replication groups and then create new replication groups at the folder target level (actual share) for each of the links above.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:51 AM
  • No, I'm pretty sure I'm replicating the target folders. Here are some screenshots with details of one of my replication groups:

Those details are pretty much identical for each of the replication groups.

Well, thanks for the input. It sounds to me like the way I have it configured is the right way, I just need to come up with an alternative method for this remote office to connect to the internet other than sharing the same pipe that DFSR is using.

Shaun
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:07 PM