none
Hyper-V not supported on a VM? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 8 VM's running on a Dell 2970 (Dual Opteron dual cores, 2.8, 32 gigs, etc.) I previously had an applictation server and had remote application working perfectly. One of the users hosed the machine so i'm rebuilding it. The problem is that when I try to add hyper-V in the VM, I'm told that the CPU doesn't support it and I'm stuck. I've even installed SCVMM to set the CPU type to Opteron and still no joy.

The only significant change that I can think of on the host server is SP1. The new VM server install is also SP1

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• After several more tries, it installed without trying to install the Hyper-V role. No clue as to why.
    • Marked as answer by Marc Medina Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:52 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• You can not install the Hyper-V role in a guest virtual machine.  The host machine's hypervisor is already using the features of the processor to provide an environment for the guest(s), so the guest(s) can not see or use the required processor features.  Think of the error message like "You already have a Hypervisor".

Why would you want to install the Hyper-V role in a guest anyway?  You can't run VM's inside of VM's.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Processor type, defined by the VMM is needed to determine the rating of the host. Expand the hypervisor in a virtualized environment is impossible.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

The following post discussed a similar issue, you can refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/dc583f69-cfdb-48d4-88fd-13527205924f/

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, August 1, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm lost on this because I had previously done this without issue on a VM on the same physical server. Now when trying to install Application Virtualization on the new VM, I'm getting this message that it requires Hyper-V and that Hyper-V is not supported.

How did this work before when there have been no changes to the physical hardware and why does it not work now?

All I need to do is have the Application Virtualization feature working.

Thanks, Marc

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi!

There are several reasons to enable the hyper-v role even on VM's, unless the intent is to host virtual machines on it.

Some non-hypervisor solutions like DPM requires the Hyper-V role enabled in order to perform certain operations.

You can install a hyper-v server on a VM and even create virtual machines, but they will not be able to start due to the absence of hardware assisted virtualisation and DEP support. Enabling the role itself on a VM is however possible, as described in the link provided by Vincent.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:24 PM
  • After several more tries, it installed without trying to install the Hyper-V role. No clue as to why.
    • Marked as answer by Marc Medina Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:52 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Check this URL if it helps you..

http://isageek.co.uk/blog/?p=618

Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:32 AM