none
How to check DFS replication status in windows 2008 r2 file server

Question

• Hi,

I have created File server DFS namespace between 2 windows 2008 R2 server. namespace mode is 2008. I have copied 3 TB data on file server 1. now it is getting replicated from file server 1 to file server 2. till now the data is not fully replicated.

My question is how can I check the status of DFS replication? how will I come to know that the initial replication is completed.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Falcon,

As far as i know, Sonar is for File Replicaiton Service (FRS) monitoring, however, it maybe not compatible for DFS-R. We may need to test for validation.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi DevidG,

If you have System Center Operation Manager in the system, you may consider using DFS replicaiton monitoring managment pack to monitor the DFS replication status.

The management pack monitors events generated by the DFS Replication service. These events provide an insight into the health of the service and folders replicated on monitored computers. This management pack includes a dashboard view which can be used to monitor replication backlogs.

The management pack also features consolidation rules that monitor computers for frequent occurrences of certain operational conditions such as staging cleanups, sharing violations, replication conflicts etc.

Downloand: DFS Replication Monitoring Management Pack

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c97b22a1-1fd6-426f-94ab-2a6e6db4aed0&displaylang=en

For instructions about importing a management pack, please see How to Import a Management Pack in Operations Manager 2007 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=142351).

Hope this can help.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Hello,

Aside from Scoropio's suggestion, Sonar has a GUI that allows you to view DFS replication vital statistics.

Miguel

Miguel Fra / Falcon IT Services
    Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
    Visit our Knowledgebase and Support Sharepoint Site

Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi Falcon,

As far as i know, Sonar is for File Replicaiton Service (FRS) monitoring, however, it maybe not compatible for DFS-R. We may need to test for validation.

Scorprio

Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Scorpio. Yes you are right. Microsoft officially says it will not work. My apologies. Thanks for the correction.

Do Ultrasound and Sonar work with DFS Replication?

No. DFS Replication has its own set of monitoring and diagnostics tools. Ultrasound and Sonar are only capable of monitoring FRS.

Is there a way to know the state of replication?

Yes. There are a number of ways to monitor replication:

• DFS Replication has a management pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007 that provides proactive monitoring.
    • DFS Replication has an in-box diagnostic report for the replication backlog, replication efficiency, and the number of files and folders in a given replication group.
    • Dfsrdiag.exe is a command-line tool that can generate a backlog count or trigger a propagation test. Both show the state of replication. Propagation shows you if files are being replicated to all nodes. Backlog shows you how many files still need to replicate before two computers are in sync. The backlog count is the number of updates that a replication group member has not processed. On computers running Windows Server 2008 R2, Dfsrdiag.exe can also display the updates that DFS Replication is currently replicating.
    • Scripts can use WMI to collect backlog information—manually or through MOM.

Miguel Fra / Falcon IT Services
    Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
    Visit our Knowledgebase and Support Sharepoint Site

Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi Falcon,

Thank you for your additional comment. That will be helpful. :)

Scorprio

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:06 AM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754227.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/05/28/dfsrdiag-exe-replicationstate-what-s-dfsr-up-to.aspx

To monitor the replication you can use the command "dfsrdiag.exe ReplicationState"

Bharat

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:06 AM