none
Enabling GUI on Hyper-V 2012 R2 Core RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen several articles about enabling Minimal Server Interface (GUI) on 2012 core.  Such as ...

http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Windows-Server-2012-Tricks

Trick #6

None of these work for me.  Is this because I installed from a  2012 R2 Hyper-v ISO instead of a 2012 R2 Install disk and selected 'Core' install? 

Also, is there a licensing difference between 2012 R2 Hyper-v and 2012 R2 Core install with Hyper-v and GUI enabled?

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• This is why I almost never come to these forums.  Few of the people here can actually read and even fewer are ever helpful.

As stated, I already tried the various PS options and they don't work.  SO whats the point of sending me different links to the same information I already provided????

After further testing, I am assuming my initial suspicion is correct.  IF you install from the 2012 R2 Hyper-V disk, which is not the same as the 2012 R2 Windows Server disk(s), you don't get a 'core' or 'full' installation option.  You just get a 'core' install with Hyper-V role already added.

I suspect something about this build is missing even the PS commands to allow several of the steps required to identify your install type much less install the GUI.

As a test, I used the 2012 R2 Windows Server disk and choose the 'core' install.  I was then able to use the various PS options I linked to and added the GUI.

SO, I guess I answered my own question.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Bachar Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go through following link, you have to run Power-Shell command to enable GUI in core OS.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2012/10/02/from-server-core-to-gui-to-minshell.aspx

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

• Proposed as answer by Andy QiModerator Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kevin Bachar Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

As an additional information, you could also refer to the following articles for details.

Configuring the Minimal Server Interface

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/archive/2012/05/09/configuring-the-minimal-server-interface.aspx

Converting from Server 2012 Core install to Full GUI

http://blogs.technet.com/b/john_taylor/archive/2013/01/09/converting-from-server-2012-core-install-to-full-gui.aspx

Switch between Server Core mode and Server GUI mode in Windows Server 2012

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Switch-between-Windows-9680265d

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:13 AM
  • This is why I almost never come to these forums.  Few of the people here can actually read and even fewer are ever helpful.

As stated, I already tried the various PS options and they don't work.  SO whats the point of sending me different links to the same information I already provided????

After further testing, I am assuming my initial suspicion is correct.  IF you install from the 2012 R2 Hyper-V disk, which is not the same as the 2012 R2 Windows Server disk(s), you don't get a 'core' or 'full' installation option.  You just get a 'core' install with Hyper-V role already added.

I suspect something about this build is missing even the PS commands to allow several of the steps required to identify your install type much less install the GUI.

As a test, I used the 2012 R2 Windows Server disk and choose the 'core' install.  I was then able to use the various PS options I linked to and added the GUI.

SO, I guess I answered my own question.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Bachar Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, I’m sorry for my misunderstanding for your original question. I missed the information that you mentioned your server is Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 other than Windows Server 2012 R2 Core with Hyper-V feature enabled. I provided the additional information just want give you more methods to install GUI on the server.

Regarding Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, please understand that it’s a free download and its installation is preactivated, so it has only a Core installation option and it cannot be converted to a GUI version.

Regarding more details about this product, please refer to the following article.

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V Server 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh833684.aspx

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 28, 2014 11:30 AM
  • Monday, January 12, 2015 12:03 PM
  • corefig DOESN"T WORK ON 2012 R2

Why people keep pushing it without really looking?

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:44 PM
  • corefig DOESN"T WORK ON 2012 R2

Why people keep pushing it without really looking?

I just installed it and it does work.  

Copy the files to a folder (I have it actually located on the DC in a share) and then go to the hyper v server that has the GUI disabled (which is what I am using) and then not IN the folder, one level up, enter cd /D corefig.  then in the folder type cscript start_corefig.wsf and it popped up with the limited GUI that corefig has.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Kevin

Your assumption is correct.  There is a licensing difference between Hyper-V server and Server STD/ENT.  Think ESXi Free.  It comes with limitation.  I assume Microsoft meant Hyper-V server to be installed as a bare bones hypervisor, again think ESXi, and managed by System Center.

There may be a way to hack and crack the free version of Hyper-V server, but I would recommend against it.  Just join the server to a domain and manage it remotely thru MMC.  Your other option is paying egregious amounts of money for Datacenter/Enterprise so that you can access a ton of RAM.

Happy visualizing

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:47 AM
  • Dave,

Many applications like Veeam Backup and Replication console server need install on Windows platform with GUI. Core is not support. 

Alex

Thursday, June 30, 2016 5:35 AM