none
Terrible annoying problem RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have a problem with Windows Server 2012R2 remote desktop services. From time to time i cannot manage my servers. We have several Remote desktop farms, one 4 node widows Server 2008 RTM farm, a single Node Windows Server 2012r2 farm and a 6 node Windows Server 2012r2 farm. we have no issue with the Windows Server 2008 RTM farm, but have a lot of issue's with the two other ones. the same issue occurs on both nodes, and the  issue is that i cannot manage them. In server manager i get the following error: "The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the http response from the destination computer. the content type is absent or invalid."

When i try to manage the RD deployments via powershell i get:

PS M:\> Get-RDRemoteApp -ConnectionBroker connectionbroker.domain.group
    Get-RDRemoteApp : A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist on connectionbroker.domain.group. This operation can be performed after creating a deployment. For information about creating a deployment, run "Get-Help New-RDVirtualDesktopDeployment" or "Get-Help New-RDSessionDeployment". 

last week i had it on the single node, but could manage the node from the other 6 node cluster. Rebooted the single node over the weekend, and the issue was resolved. This morning the issue returned, in which i was unable to manage Remote desktop deployment from all nodes, except one. All published applications are running fine, but cannot the deployment. Rebooting the node resolves the issue for that node.

Have been looking into the issue, where it could be that the kerberos ticket is to large for the logged-on user. However when i log on with a user which is only member of the domain admins, the issue isn't resolved. So think it is not related to where the kerberos, or NTLM authentication issue described here:

http://oyvindnilsen.com/solution-for-powershell-remoting-error-it-cannot-determine-the-content-type-of-the-http-response-from-the-destination-computer/

all servers are fully patched.   

Answers provided are coming from personal experience, and come with no warranty of success. I as everybody else do make mistakes.

Monday, January 16, 2017 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to further analyze this issue, please describe more details about RDS deployment, such as how roles are distributed.

In addition, please also check Terminal and Remote Desktop services related logs under:

Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs\ Microsoft\ Windows\.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:32 PM
  • Farm1:

one single node farm, which has the connection broker, web access server, rds gateway and session host server installed. This server has a single collection. This server uses traditional Terminal services profiles.

Farm2:

a 6 node terminal services farm, with two RDS Web and RDS Gateway role installed. These servers sit behind a f5 loadbalancer. 2 RDS Sessionbrokers, which have been configured in HA, with a SQL back-end (cluster) to store the RDS Sessionbroker DB. two RDS Session Host Servers. This farm uses User Profile Disks which are stored on a file Server. 

Have checked the event viewer several times on various hosts on farm 1 and 2, but still no clue. Rebooted the active broker of farm2 to resolve the issue on Monday, today Friday the same issue occurs. Have powershell published as Remoteapp on farm2. 

PS C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-RDRemoteApp -ConnectionBroker Broker2.domain.dom -Alias "*mmc*"

Get-RDRemoteApp : A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist on Broker2.domain.dom. This operation can b
    e performed after creating a deployment. For information about creating a deployment, run "Get-Help New-RDVirtualDeskto
    pDeployment" or "Get-Help New-RDSessionDeployment".
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-RDRemoteApp -ConnectionBroker Broker2.domain.dom -Alias "*mmc*"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Get-RDRemoteApp

Same happens launching powershell on the active broker itself, the session host. I got another server which is used for script automation. It has the RSAT tool installed 

PS M:\> import-module remotedesktop
    PS M:\> Get-RDRemoteApp -ConnectionBroker broker2.domain.dom

CollectionName Alias          DisplayName              FilePath                         ShowIn CommandLin RequiredC Use
                                                                                            WebAcc eSetting   ommandLin rGr
                                                                                            ess               e         oup
                                                                                                                        s
    -------------- -----          -----------              --------                         ------ ---------- --------- ---

Which runs perfectly. 

Changing active broker does not resolve the issue.

after rebooting the broker, i saw following event:

10154: The WinRM Service failed to create the following SPN's: WSMAN/broker2.domain.dom

going to check the security for the objects in adsiedit, for the Network Service

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27459705/Event-ID-10154-The-WinRM-service-failed-to-create-the-following-SPNs.html#answer37182594

Answers provided are coming from personal experience, and come with no warranty of success. I as everybody else do make mistakes.

Friday, January 20, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you also try to disable firewall temporarily to see whether it's related to blocked firewall ports.

In addition, please ensure that Remote Desktop Management Service is running on RD Connection Brokers.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.
    Please feel free to let us know if further assistance is required.

Best Regards,

Amy

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:59 AM
  • An update: the issue still occurs from time to time. But i have noticed that we do not have the problem if we manage the server farm from a server which is not part of the farm. We have a Windows Server 2012r2 which we use for scheduled tasks. We can manage all farm members from this server. The Firewall has been disabled on domain networks and have verified that the farm members are indeed connected to domain networks.  

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:21 PM