none
Cannot Run Cleanup Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The partition that holds the WSUS content and database is full (about 260KB remaining out of 350GB). I cannot run the server cleanup wizard because it fails with a database error after an hour or so. I installed SQL Server Mgmt Tools in an attempt to try and connect to the SUSDB and remove the updates manually. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7b12f8b2-d0e6-4f63-a98a-019356183c29/getting-past-wsus-cleanup-wizard-time-out-removing-unnecessary-updates?forum=winserverwsus

I cannot connect to SQL, it won't accept my domain username and password. I am an administrator on the server. I would try 'sa' but I am not sure of that password. The Server runs Windows Server 2008 R2 in a hyper-v VM, and WSUS 3.0.

I need to clean this up, but nothing is working. Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:31 PM

Answers

• If you go to your updates folder you can safely delete updates that are very old like 120+ days or more to free up some data, it will re-download them if they are needed again. You should be able to run the cleanup wizard, if the database has gotten corrupt you may have no choice but to uninstall role/data and re-add WSUS. It's not as bad as you think your clients will look to the reinstalled role like they did the original, so it's just the server that your need to fix.

I use a script to delete old downloads, you should be able to do a quick search for files over 100 days old.

get-ChildItem 'C:\updates\wsuscontent\*.*' -recurse | where {$_.lastwritetime -lt (get-date).adddays(-100)} | % {get-item $_.fullname -force -verbose}
    replace path to your updates content.

this will tell you how much data will be freed up

Get-ChildItem C:\updates\WsusContent\*.* -recurse | where {$_.lastwritetime -lt (get-date).adddays(-100)} | Measure-Object -property length -sum

• Marked as answer by N74JW Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• If you go to your updates folder you can safely delete updates that are very old like 120+ days or more to free up some data, it will re-download them if they are needed again. You should be able to run the cleanup wizard, if the database has gotten corrupt you may have no choice but to uninstall role/data and re-add WSUS. It's not as bad as you think your clients will look to the reinstalled role like they did the original, so it's just the server that your need to fix.

I use a script to delete old downloads, you should be able to do a quick search for files over 100 days old.

get-ChildItem 'C:\updates\wsuscontent\*.*' -recurse | where {$_.lastwritetime -lt (get-date).adddays(-100)} | % {get-item $_.fullname -force -verbose}
    replace path to your updates content.

this will tell you how much data will be freed up

Get-ChildItem C:\updates\WsusContent\*.* -recurse | where {$_.lastwritetime -lt (get-date).adddays(-100)} | Measure-Object -property length -sum

• Marked as answer by N74JW Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Jason

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Freed-up around 80GBs! Great!

Jason

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:21 PM
  • they are likely updates that have been applied so that is good you should have space to run the wizard now.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Thanks!

Jason

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:34 PM