none
Search not working on Windows 2016 TP5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I'm the only one having problems with search on Server 2016 TP6? (for example click start menu - type "Update" - no results are returned?)

Best regards

Mike

Saturday, May 14, 2016 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael

No you are not alone :-)

The work around is if its an app then use the al apps link or if you want internet explorer you need to type in full iexplore.exe

Expect it will be fixed, either in an update or the next Preview.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if you found it helpful

Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

I did the same test in my lab and get the same result with you.

Search in Windows 10: It’s working.

Search in Windows Server 2016 TP5: not working.

From the Windows Server 2016 TP5 TechNet website, you can find a way to give feedback:

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126143.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"Want to provide feedback or make a suggestion? Is there something that we could do better? You can use the Windows Server User Voice site to give feedback, recommend features, and to see what others are saying."

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mike_Denmark Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:51 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael

No you are not alone :-)

The work around is if its an app then use the al apps link or if you want internet explorer you need to type in full iexplore.exe

Expect it will be fixed, either in an update or the next Preview.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if you found it helpful

Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

I did the same test in my lab and get the same result with you.

Search in Windows 10: It’s working.

Search in Windows Server 2016 TP5: not working.

From the Windows Server 2016 TP5 TechNet website, you can find a way to give feedback:

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126143.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"Want to provide feedback or make a suggestion? Is there something that we could do better? You can use the Windows Server User Voice site to give feedback, recommend features, and to see what others are saying."

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mike_Denmark Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:51 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Hi folks, this is a known issue in TP5 and it will be fixed in the next release of Windows Server 2016. Thanks. --Sam
    Monday, May 16, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Don't think this is solved. I have the evaluation version that they released just weeks ago and still cant get the search to show apps that are clearly installed. I can search for say "Acrobat" and says no results, however Acrobat Reader is clearly installed. Really any app that was installed doesn't seem to show on the search, rendering it pretty much useless except the built in apps/config apps like control panel, services, etc.

Dixit

Friday, October 14, 2016 2:48 PM
  • I have the same problem. I insatlled the final (!) version which is not a preview anymore from MSDN.... and my search isn't working.

Tried index reset and various stuff and nothing helps....disappointing.

I wonder if it has anything to do with disabling the UAC.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Same here, this was NOT fixed in RTM.  See my last post here for a work around with program items but only for users other then local admin.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95fdbe8c-2966-4fd0-91a5-2abf6f31d0eb/windows-server-2016-start-menu-not-showing-all-items-and-version-strings-inconsistent?forum=WinServerPreview

Still does nothing for control panel items.

• Edited by JEmlay Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:27 PM
    • Edited by JEmlay Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure if this is related, but I have been experiencing the same problem with final version of the Windows Server 2016 (not just no search results displayed, but even the search functionality in Start menu not working at all - clicking on the menu entry and nothing)...

Interestingly, the only thing which has helped, was to .... enable the Windows Firewall service (and restart the machine)... Do not ask me why... I do not see any logical connection between the two either... But the trick has helped...

Cheers,

Waldek

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:25 PM
  • The "Windows Search" service is set to 'Disabled' by default on Windows Server 2016.  This is because indexing of the volumes can negatively impact some server scenarios.  If you intend to use Windows Server 2016 as a desktop, you can re-enable the service.
    • Proposed as answer by mzucchi Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:31 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 4:26 PM
  • The "Windows Search" service is set to 'Disabled' by default on Windows Server 2016.  This is because indexing of the volumes can negatively impact some server scenarios.  If you intend to use Windows Server 2016 as a desktop, you can re-enable the service.

Any details on which scenarios it doesn't play well with?  I'm doing an Exchange 2016 server atm - will this be a problem?
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Had the same problem, windows search not working on Windows Server 2016, clicking on magnifier icon didn't open the search box. Server had windows firewall services disabled. Enabled it and turned off all fw profiles. It's working now. No server reboot required.
    • Proposed as answer by BuenoPaulo Monday, July 24, 2017 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:12 PM
  • antsb,

I was having problems trying to update two Windows 2016 servers using my internal WSUS.

• 1st found out that search must be working for you to synchronize the server with WSUS;
    • 2nd found out that Windows Firewall service MUST be running in order to have the Windows Search working. Note: Windows Search service don't need to be running. It's disabled by default in Windows Server 2016.

Right now these two servers are synchronized and update by WSUS.

Thanks!

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:36 PM