none
Script orginization

Question

• Hello fellow scripting folks

Does anyone know of the best way to organize powershell scripts for a bunch of team members to use?  I am looking for a script repository that would allow for someone to search certain key words which would display a list of scripts and than possibly displaying alongside each script a short summary of the script.

The problem i'm facing is I myself might know what the script does by my naming convention however my colleagues do not.  I've searched and searched but cant seem to find this. Any recommendation is appreciated. 

• Edited by flashbike87 Friday, February 9, 2018 5:22 PM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 5:22 PM

All replies

• Look at GitHub:

https://github.com/

You can also use OneGet to set up a local repository.

help repository

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:26 PM
  • I am using GitHub and Jenkins, but that is mostly for script repository and for versioning and build purposes.

There is one app that I am using to search thru the selected repository by keywords. It is even skimming thru the scripts itself, to find a match.

It is called Windows Grep 2.3

To me, it is a life saver. lets say that I want to check where in all my code I have used a certain function. It will list you all the scripts where you actually used it.

Windows Grep 2.3

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Thank you, i'll check out Windows Grep

I use GitLab but like Vlad817263 said, its more version control. I am looking for more of a repository that is searchable by keywords and has a quick description of all the scripts without having to open the script up. 

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:43 PM
  • Well, Grep is just finding the keyword. It can be in the script name, or within the script (which is very useful). 

To be able to see quick description, I don't think that it is possible with grep. But try it and let me know if you like it.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:49 PM