none
Server service (lanmanserver) will not start

Question

• The "Server" service on my Windows 2008 Server is not starting. When I attempt to start manually via services.msc, I get "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." I have checked that both srvsvc.dll and srv.sys do exist, and have also tried replacing them with working copies from another server.

When I try "net start server" from the commandline, it returns with "System error 1067 occured. The process terminated unexpectedly."

The event is logged as:
    Event 1000, Application Error
    Faulting application svchost.exe_LanmanServer, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919291, faulting module srvsvc.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e04257, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000013abc, process id 0xe60, application start time 0x01ca99dfc9dc9350.

I may be having the same problem as in the following post, but none of the solutions there have helped:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/5546c8fa-8e50-4251-bebd-c16cfd2fda22/

I have already reinstalled this system once, and could do it again but I'd really prefer to track this problem down.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:52 PM

Answers

• I may have solved this myself...after posting this I went back and replaced (again) the system32/drivers/srv.sys file from a running server that had been fully patched. After a reboot (not before) the Server service started correctly again.

YMMV
    • Marked as answer by soundstripe Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:59 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:57 AM

All replies

• If you have A/V running, try turning it off and then see if the server service will start. Not saying that is a solution

Dilip
    www.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have A/V installed.

This seems to have occurred following some changes I made to iSCSI, but I have undone the changes (having kept very good notes).

This server is tasked with running a few Hyper-V virtual machines, and as such it would be handy to also have it serve some files. Those are the only two roles I need this server to perform.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:34 AM
  • I may have solved this myself...after posting this I went back and replaced (again) the system32/drivers/srv.sys file from a running server that had been fully patched. After a reboot (not before) the Server service started correctly again.

YMMV
    • Marked as answer by soundstripe Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:59 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:57 AM
  • I resolved this error on Windows Server 2008 R2 (11/16/2010) - this is mainly to help someone else from wasting hours like I did and serve as a record when I forget the solution.  :)

The server service would not start, the error was "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"  Reinstalling the service by uninstalling "file and printer sharing" didn't help.

In my case, something (I think it was EMC Powerpath) set the lanmanserver service to depend on the MSiSCSI service.

That's all well and great, but the server service *also* depends on SamSS and Srv (see any other machine's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\DependOnService key) 

Note:  I also changed the "DisplayName" key to match another system's DisplayName key, cause it was set to "Server" rather than a path to a dll with a number at the end.

So there is a silent fail during boot and the service doensn't start because SamSS or Srv hadn't started in time.  Trying to start the service later by hand gives the file not found message.

It appears the developer throws up the wrong error message for this, because it errors with "can't find file" rather than "dependent service not running."  I know this because once I kicked off srvnet, srv2, and srv  by hand (sc start xxx) - I was able to start the lanmanserver service just fine.  That error message sends people in the wrong direction and wastes a lot of time.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I also had this problem on a Server 2008 R2 server.

Believe it or not, after playing around for a couple hours, I was able to fix it by setting the service to Log On as a differenct user account (for example the domain\administrator account).  When I then tried to start it I received an error that the account used to attempt the startup did not match the account used for some other services it starts.  I then changed it back to "Local System Account" and it started right up.  All was good once again!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 10:46 PM
  • m_a_tt, Thanks and I added SamSS plus Srv to DependOnService key.

For those of you who may have also added MSiSCSI due to lost of security, double check SamSS and Srv wasn't deleted, which was what happen to my servers.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:13 AM
  • I resolved this error on Windows Server 2008 R2 (11/16/2010) - this is mainly to help someone else from wasting hours like I did and serve as a record when I forget the solution.  :)

The server service would not start, the error was "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"  Reinstalling the service by uninstalling "file and printer sharing" didn't help.

In my case, something (I think it was EMC Powerpath) set the lanmanserver service to depend on the MSiSCSI service.

That's all well and great, but the server service *also* depends on SamSS and Srv (see any other machine's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\DependOnService key) 

Note:  I also changed the "DisplayName" key to match another system's DisplayName key, cause it was set to "Server" rather than a path to a dll with a number at the end.

So there is a silent fail during boot and the service doensn't start because SamSS or Srv hadn't started in time.  Trying to start the service later by hand gives the file not found message.

It appears the developer throws up the wrong error message for this, because it errors with "can't find file" rather than "dependent service not running."  I know this because once I kicked off srvnet, srv2, and srv  by hand (sc start xxx) - I was able to start the lanmanserver service just fine.  That error message sends people in the wrong direction and wastes a lot of time.

This is an old thread, but I am bumping this because it completely helped me solve the issue that is presented in this thread..  even though its a different fix.  I blogged on this fix here and gave credit where due to m_a_tt.

http://blog.chrislehr.com/2011/02/server-service-error-2-system-cannot.html

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by jamesfed Friday, November 11, 2011 9:06 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Thanks!  I *knew* I couldn't be the only one!  :)
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:12 PM
  • MATT you freakin rocked my world today - never thought this would work (as i had tried a bunch of other lame suggestions) but you saved my server!  Had to apply a similar process to the Workstation service as well.  THANK YOU!!!!!
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I had a similar problem, and did two things. Not sure which one worked, but one of them did.

First thing I did was delete any spooled files:

Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\

And delete all files in this directory

The other thing I did, was make the spooled service dependant on the server service

Followed suggestion at this article http://www.onejohn.org/wpjohn/2008/11/the-server-service-hung-on-starting/

“In brief, some Lexmark and HP printer drivers install port monitoring software which in some undescribed fashion cause the Spooler service to try to start before the Server service. The solution is to make the Spooler service depend on the Server service so Spooler does not start until after Server. For more details go to the MS link, but if you know what you are doing, you can add lanmanserver to the DependOnService key in”

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

Once I rebooted the server, the server service started correctly.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:04 AM
  • This worked for me!  Thanks!
    Monday, November 07, 2011 4:31 PM

Thanks a bunch. This totally worked for me. We have a Drobo Elite that will at times not initiate shares upon reboot so I ran the command "sc config LanManServer depend= MSiSCSI". This unfortunately wiped away the SamSS and Srv entries from the DependOnService key. I was able to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\DependOnService and re-add those entries. After a reboot everything came up fine, except that the Drobo Elite decided to drop some share again. It definitely fixed my server service problem, but Drobo needs to get their act together and find a way for the iSCSI initiator to play correctly during startup so that shares are not lost upon a reboot. But that is a rant for another forum. Thanks again!
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Hi, i have a propblem that is perhaps related to this forum, as per the KB 978433 i downloaded the hotfix from http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/WindowsServer%202008%20R2/sp1/Fix296934/7600/free/401695_intl_x64_zip.exe, but when trying to run the hotfix it comes with an error: The update is not applicable to your computer. My server is 2008 R2 x64
    and yet the hotfix was developed to address this issue. i replaced srv.sys, Sscore.dll, srvsvc.dll files copied from a wel running server and checked all
    the dependencies all running,i run sfc /scannow still nothing is happening as all seems to be fine. when i try to start the server service it with only run for a while (1 to 2 mins) and then stops, at times when i start it again it comes with an error, the  Server service wont start with the following error
    Windows could not start the server service on local computer
    error 53: the network path was not found
    Event ID: 7023

i have also added MSiSCSI service to depend on lanmanserver as SamSs and Srv were already there and when i queried them from dos ( sc query SamSs, it will show the service running as well as Srv) when i query lanmanserver it brings W32_EXIT_CODE : 53 (0X35) AND SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 53 (0x35). i have also downloaded and installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB947821) but when i try to istall it it comes with "The update is not applicable to your computer". i then dowloaded the fix that addresses this but it gives me the same thing "The update is not applicable to your computer".

i have been working on this server for days now and i dont want to format it

Please help

Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:34 AM