none
DHCP Server Wont Start

Question

• Running Window Server 2008 R2. When I try to start the service I get this error here.

I don't have a AD Environment this just a Workgroup environment.

I have tried following the Link here. It does nothing. Tried updating network cards drive. Netsh commands they suggest nothing works. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/87f288b5-7d75-47a6-87ff-badf1f0b4cb7 

I have also tried the suggested registry trick of Disable Rouge Check no avail I cannot get the service to start.

I have used this utility and only show Netopia router which is one I currently have setup.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server
    Date:          3/1/2012 7:47:03 PM
    Event ID:      1008
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      filesvr
    Description:
    The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error: 
    The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "%2" (Server IP Address %1)
    )
    )
    )

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server" Guid="{6D64F02C-A125-4DAC-9A01-F0555B41CA84}" EventSourceName="DhcpServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1008</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-02T00:47:03.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>36094</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>filesvr</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "%2" (Server IP Address %1)
    </Data>
        <Binary>2A040000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Friday, March 2, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• The BINL service will not stop the DHCP service unless Active Directory is detected. While this server may not be on the domain, is there the presence of Active Directory on this local network?  If so, you option is to use a non-Windows DHCP service on this server, if that is allowed by your organization's policy.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Thats the thing there is no active directory server on this network.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:04 PM
  • One option i was asked was to leave the work group and rejoin it. what do you all think?
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hello Michael,  

I don't believe that action is going to help you in this situation.  Some where on that network, there is an AD instance by the NetBIOS name of "2A040000", as per the event ID information.

You may want to go back and try to locate the computer on the network that has installed an instance of AD.  Keep in mind that you may have developers on site that have VMs, or other technicians that are learning or playing around with Windows Server.  Directory service is there, somewhere. 

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Create a new value in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DHCPServer\Parameters
    Name: DisableRogueDetection
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 0x1

Edit:i just tried in test server and worked fine

Renato Kurti CCNA,CCNP Security,CCAI,MCP,MCTS,MCITP:EA

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:24 PM
  • @Renato

Already tried no go.

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Jorge,

This a simple small office of about 5 people. I doubt anyone doing any kind of vm or playing with server operating system. Is there a way I check these workstations I mean these people barley even know how to check there email.

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:20 PM
  • In Win2008, if i remember right, the dhcp stop if it detect another dhcp on lan, maybe they got a small soho router they resetted ? (I add that if in a workgroup if the router give the dhcp, they will see nothing different if it's the same subnet)

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:34 PM
  • hmm... could it be that this office's network is bridged with another office in the building?  Maybe a network copier or other device that is appears to be a domain?  

Try this...look at the network configuration of one of the clients, specifically the subnet mask.  Download a ping utility that will quickly let you run a ping scan on the subnet you are on.  Make sure that no more than 5 computers respond to your test.

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Well there is another copier. But no wifi were about to replace the dsl with clear i will see if that fixes it if not i will try it again at another time. Its werid though.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Could be the copier.  If it runs SAMBA and has been configured with certain settings, it could be broadcasting that it is the equivalent of a domain controller.  I have encountered a similar issue, not related to DHCP, but clients trying to authenticate to linux boxes that were misconfigured.

I would scan the network as I suggested.  Turn off any devices that you know are not windows computers that you manage.  Try starting DHCP services and go from there.

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Yeah i was think about hooking up a switch to it and just by self see if it would start. 
    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Restart the server.

Thanks, Being Human

Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Please note that switch cannot block broadcast packets at the same LAN. As a test purpose, you may connect to a soho router between your server and current network environment, to see if this can start you DHCP services. For troubleshoot steps, please follow the effective suggestion provided by Jorger. Hope it helps.    

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Aiden,

Thats what i mean a private network with just the server on it. I want to see if it is something on the network. Sorry for the condition's yeah just hooking a switch up to the network and to the server wouldn't do much for troubleshooting sake. 

Thanks

Mike

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Ok Update.

1. Tried netsh winsock reset.

2. Tried hooking up a switch (only server) no go. With the swith connected tried the following things. Install and uninstalling the dhcp server. Uninstalling the network drivers. I was able to get it to work once by disabling dns service so i went ahead and uninstalled it. After reboot it still didnt work. Went ahead and removed wins. Tired working with the netowrk settings nothing changed. Tried soho router no change. Do you all have any other ideas. I am unable to start the dhcp server after an hour of trying these things.

Thanks

Mike

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Does anyone have any answers do I need to go into more detail.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Update

I have gone ahead and put a new dhcp server in with windows 2008 r2 standard service started right away. and is servicing clients. I will watch over the weekend but like i said i suspect there something corrupt in that server.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Worked with microsoft for 8 hours and were goign to reload the server. 
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I realize that this is a very old thread, but it is #1 in the google search results so I'm going to post what worked for me.

I received the following events on my freshly installed DHCP servers.

Event ID: 1004
    The DHCP service failed to initialize the database. The following error occurred:
    An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

Event ID: 1018
    The DHCP service failed to restore the database. The following error occurred:
    An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

Event ID: 1008
    The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error:
    The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "2A040000" (Server IP Address The DHCP/BINL service is not authorized in the directory service domain "%2" (Server IP Address %1)
    )
    )
    )

It's worth mentioning here that my AD domain is contoso.com, NOT 2A040000.  The only explanation I could come up with for this was that my DHCP database was corrupt.  I tried removing and reinstalling the DHCP Role, but that did not fix it.  My solution was to delete the DHCP database and recreate it as follows.

Warning: This will lose information about all of your active scopes, options, and leases.

1. Stop the DHCP Service.
    2. Use the DHCP MMC to de-authorize the dhcp server.
    3. Move the contents of  c:\windows\system32\dhcp to a temporary folder.
    4. Start the DHCP Service.
    5. Authorize the DHCP Service in the DHCP MMC.
    6. Create the DHCP scopes.

Elizabeth Greene
    http://www.extraparts.info

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:22 PM
  • hi all, have been pulling hair out the last 2 days working on this and I know it's an old post but here's what I found on this customers network...they had a power outage the other day and their Comcast router turned on the IP6 DHCP.  This is an older router and under normal conditions when you turn off the DHCP it disables for both 4 and 6 this one however did not.  just something you might want to check.
    Saturday, November 29, 2014 5:02 PM