none
Server Manager on Windows 10 but no DNS option for DNS servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I downloaded and installed Server Manager so I could more easily manage my Server 2012 R2 servers. Everything installed fine and I was able to successfully add my servers to Server Manager. On the left side of Server Manager is a column listing the different server features such as DHCP, IIS, WSUS, and DNS. If I select DHCP on the left side my servers running DHCP show up in the Servers frame. Right-clicking on a server brings up a DHCP Manager option. This works for everything except DNS. If I click on DNS in the left side column my Domain Controllers show up in the Servers frame but when I right-click on them there's no DNS Manager option. This was working before I upgraded my computer to an SSD hard drive. Any ideas on how I can regain access to DNS? We're installing locks and cameras and environment monitors so I'm making regular trips to add stuff to DNS.

Thanks,

Joe B

Monday, November 13, 2017 11:09 PM

Answers

• I just saw this post and wanted to say I found the answer. I'm running Windows 10 on my workstation so I went here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520, and was downloading and installing the 1709 version (which is my Win 10 version). I posted this question on another forum (I don't remember which one or where it was) and was told to download the 2016 version of RSAT from the same location. I did that and everything is working fine now.

Thanks,

Joe B

• Marked as answer by JBruyet Friday, March 9, 2018 5:02 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 4:58 PM

All replies

• hi,

Try to reinstall:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

There could be a problem with the DNS Manager plugin.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Good morning Vincent,

I uninstalled my Server Manager software (that was quite a journey of discovery), downloaded a new installation file and installed Server Manager. I still have no access to DNS manager from within Server Manager. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Any Moderators, I thought I was in the Windows Server 2012 General forum. I was going to copy my original post to that forum but I know that cross-posting is universally frowned upon. Please move this thread over to the Server 2012 forum.

Thanks,

Joe B

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:25 PM
  • I just saw this post and wanted to say I found the answer. I'm running Windows 10 on my workstation so I went here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520, and was downloading and installing the 1709 version (which is my Win 10 version). I posted this question on another forum (I don't remember which one or where it was) and was told to download the 2016 version of RSAT from the same location. I did that and everything is working fine now.

Thanks,

Joe B

• Marked as answer by JBruyet Friday, March 9, 2018 5:02 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 4:58 PM