none
VM on CSV goes Pause-Critical RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I hope some of you can enlighten some questions.

How many hosts/nodes do you recommend in a Hyper-V Cluster?

We are having som CSV issues when thay are in some cases when moved to anoter hosts are about 30 to 60 seconds and therefor the VMs on "that" CSV is going in "Pause/Critical" mode, the hosts is connected to our NetAPP AllFlash SSD via Fiber Channel.
    We have looked in to the number of hosts in the Clusters (the biggest Cluster have 15 hosts, and the smallest Cluster have 4 hosts) - all hosts have the same OS installed, patchlevel and so on - som Clusters are server 2016 and others server 2019.
    It looks like it is something that develops over time (1+ month) and a reboot of all of the hosts (one at the time) seems to fix the Pause/Critical issue. 

Please let me know i any of you have experiend something like.

Best and kind regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:46 AM

All replies

• It is impossible to a 'how many' question like this.  I have seem some clusters that are full with two nodes and others that have lots of room for expansion with two nodes.  Your mileage may vary.

First thing is to run the cluster validation wizard wizard to see if the cluster is seeing the storage in the manner you are expecting.  With the results of the wizard, sit down with NetApp and have a chat with them to determine if you are configured according to their recommendations.

tim

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

The Cluster validation wizard says that everything is running green (is correct configuered).

It can´t be NetAPP cox all other CSV´s is working just fine, while the one we are moving is behaving odd and making the VM´s go Pause/Critical.
    And the issue is building up over time - to mitigate the issue is to restart one host at the time.
    After a restart of the hosts, the CSV can be moved without issues.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

>>It can´t be NetAPP cox all other CSV´s is working just fine, while the one we are moving is behaving odd and making the VM´s go Pause/Critical.

Is there any error message in Event Viewer? Cluster log will give us more useful information.

Try to move the VM from this CSV to another to see if it has the same issue.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:22 AM
  • is it just a single CSV that is demonstrating this problem, or is it any random CSV? 

The actual error message would be helpful.

Have you asked NetApp about this? i have always found them helpful to assist in debugging storage issues.

tim

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hi guys,

Sorry for not getting back until now.

It is random what CSV causes the Pause/Critical.
    It´s also random when the Pause/Critical occur and what host we move it to.

Pause-Critical Event

Going Active

Filteret from Event

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Is there any error message instead of information in Event Viewer?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:29 AM