none
windows server 2012 settings to start a program by default

Question

• I am new to windows server 2012.

Can anyone show me the pointers as how do I start a particular program on connections.

I just need to run a bat file on connect.

I was able to do this successfully in windows server 2008 but 2012 turns out to be different.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think this question is in the wrong forum. To answer your question, there are three ways, The Startup folder is hidden by default in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Solution 1 Open the Windows Run dialog by using the Windows Key + R key combination. Type %AppData% into the Run field and press enter. In the AppData folder that is opened, browse down through the following subfolders: -Microsoft -Windows -Start Menu -Programs You will find the Startup folder in the Programs folder. Solution 2 Open a Windows explorer window and type: C:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Solution 3 Open a Windows explorer window and type: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp you can also configure the file in group policy preferences to start on startup Or you can use the task schedular on server 2012.
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

The configurations are not very different between Windows Server 2012 and previous versions of Windows Server.

You can use the following two methods:

1. Run the Windows Remote Desktop Connection -> Options -> Programs -> Check Start the following program on connection -> Specify the path and file name.

Specify a program to start upon connection Remote Desktop Connection

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782233(v=ws.10).aspx

2. You can also configure whether a program or the desktop appears when the user logs on to a remote session by applying the following Group Policy settings:

l  Start a program on connection

l  Always show desktop on connection

These Group Policy settings are located in the following locations:

l  Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment 

l  User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment 

Specify a Program to Start Automatically When a User Logs On

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770821.aspx

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, November 02, 2013 9:12 AM
  • you can also utilize login script GPOs and also registry entry GPOs which utilize the Run key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:36 PM
  • I'm not sure the original poster stated his problem correctly, because I'm having the same problem.

Up until Server 2008, you could use option 1 -

Run the Windows Remote Desktop Connection -> Options -> Programs -> Check Start the following program on connection -> Specify the path and file name.

Specify a program to start upon connection Remote Desktop Connection.

However in Server 2012 this just doesn't work. Is there anyway to still open a program with a RDP session?

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:37 AM
  • Para especificar um programa para iniciar no momento da conexão Remota e Quando fechar o programa a conexão fechar junto:
    1 - entre no Servidor como Administrador
    2 - vá até o usuário que deseja fazer a configuração
         (Abra o Gerenciador de Servidor - Ferramentas e clique em Gerenciamento do Computador)
    3 - Expanda Usuários e Grupos Locais e clique em Usuários
    4 - Dê 2 Cliques no Usuário desejado
    5 - Clique na aba Ambiente
    6 - Marque a Caixa: Iniciar o seguinte programa durante o logon
    7 - Na Caixa Nome do arquivo de Programa: colocar o endereço do Programa
         EX.: C:\Arquivo de Programas\DoroPDFWriter\Doro
    8 - Na Caixa Iniciar em: Colocar o Endereço (pasta do programa
         EX.: "C:\Arquivo de Programas\DoroPDFWriter"
    9 - Clique em Aplicar e OK.
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:52 AM
  • Like you I've discovered that it just doesn't work, though in 2008 R2 and prior it worked just fine for me by creating a GPO.  Have you had any luck since your post a year and a half ago in finding out why or how to make it work?
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:56 PM