none
Running two RDS licence server in one domain RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2008 terminal servers and we are migrating to 2019 RDS. I want to keep 2008 terminal server till we fully start using 2019 RDS server. My question is can I configure 2019 terminal server licence server in the same domain along with 2008 licence server. Will there be any login issue for 2008 terminal server session?
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Jenny

Thank you for quick response.

Yes, new RDS 2019 servers are in the same domain. 

I am not migrating CALs from the 2008 to 2019. I will use both OS till the 2019 fully functional. 

So when I activate 2019 RDS licence server, all the RDS server will automatically or manually find 2019 licence server and all 2008 terminal server will still be connected with 2008 RDS licence server.

Thanks

Arif

• Marked as answer by ArifShaikh Friday, July 5, 2019 4:41 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:37 PM
  • Hi Arif,

>>when I activate 2019 RDS license server, all the RDS server will automatically or manually find 2019 license server and all 2008 terminal server will still be connected with 2008 RDS license server.

Yes, I think so. For RD session host 2008, they will automatically look for RDS license server and retrieve available CAL based on the CALs compatibility with session host server and licensing server. And for later versions like 2019 session host, we should manually choose license server and licensing mode. So licensing server with different versions won’t conflict when issuing  CALs.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my understanding that you are going to deploy RDS 2019 by adding new servers into the same domain. Kindly correct me if anything misunderstood.

You can configure two license servers in same domain without issues. But just a kind reminder, please always sort out the version relationship between CALs, Session host server and Licensing server when you deploying or migrating the RDS environment.

Reference links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/migrate-rds-role-services#migrate-rdgateway-servers

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/migrate-rds-cals

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14988.rds-and-ts-cal-interoperability-matrix.aspx

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Hi Jenny

Thank you for quick response.

Yes, new RDS 2019 servers are in the same domain. 

I am not migrating CALs from the 2008 to 2019. I will use both OS till the 2019 fully functional. 

So when I activate 2019 RDS licence server, all the RDS server will automatically or manually find 2019 licence server and all 2008 terminal server will still be connected with 2008 RDS licence server.

Thanks

Arif

Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:37 PM
  • Hi Arif,

>>when I activate 2019 RDS license server, all the RDS server will automatically or manually find 2019 license server and all 2008 terminal server will still be connected with 2008 RDS license server.

Yes, I think so. For RD session host 2008, they will automatically look for RDS license server and retrieve available CAL based on the CALs compatibility with session host server and licensing server. And for later versions like 2019 session host, we should manually choose license server and licensing mode. So licensing server with different versions won’t conflict when issuing  CALs.

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:46 AM
  • Hi Jenny

I have activated 2019 RD licence server (per user cal) and it shows on the terminal server that it is activated, but when I ran RD licencing diagnoser from 2019 terminal server it still can't find 2019 licence server. 

On the TS server where I am trying to connect to 2019 RD Lic server, it give following error message:

<RD Licence Server>:The licensing mode for the Remote Desktop Session Host server is not configured.

<RD Licence Server>:The Remote Desktop Session Host server is within its grace period, but the RD Session Host server has not been configured with any license server.

Thanks

Arif

• Edited by ArifShaikh Monday, July 15, 2019 7:09 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Issue resolved after making local policy changes on each RD session host servers:

Computer Configuration | Administrative Template | Windows Components | Remote Desktop Services | Remote Desktop Session Host | Licensing

1. Use the specified RD licence server (FQDN of licence server)

2. Set RD licencing mode (Per User)

There is still one issue of licence version. Even though I set 2019 RD licence but it still shows as 2016 RD licence.

• Edited by ArifShaikh Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:44 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 5:42 AM