none
Remote manage Hyper-V(workgroup) from domain joined client (both running windows 10 1709) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

Im currently trying to setup af homelab with a Server running Hyper-V. But cant get the Hyper-V Manager to work/connect to the server.

Have followed this guide : http://tweaks.com/windows/67216/remotely-manage-a-nondomain-hyperv-server/

Server: M4700
    Workgroup

Client: 
    Domaim Joined

Perform this on Server:
    Network: Private
    Enable-PSRemoting
    Enable-WSManCredSSP -Role server

Perform this on Client:

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts -Value "M4700"
    To clear trustedhost values - perfrom this command : Clear-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts
    Enable-WSManCredSSP -Role client -DelegateComputer "M4700"

Open Local Group Policy Editor(gpedit.msc), choose to the following path: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Credentials Delegation.
    Enable the following settings and click Show to add server M4700/*:
    • Allow delegating default credentials with NTLM-only server authentication.
    • Allow delegating default credentials.
    • Allow delegating saved credentials.
    • Allow delegating saved credentials with NTLM-only server authentication
    Restart to let the policy take effect.

add server host to hostfile
    notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

What am I missing to get this to work.

Getting this error when I connect.

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saturday, November 18, 2017 6:03 PM

Answers

• Yes, that would be a possibility.  However, that is the Hyper-V Server product.  It does not have a GUI.  If you are not familiar with command line management for a Windows environment (and my hunch is that you are not because you are running Windows client), then you might have some difficulty in setting up and managing the environment.  From that same location you can request the evaluation copy of Windows Server 2016.  That can be installed with a GUI to help you get things set up.

tim

• Marked as answer by LongQuo Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:29 PM

All replies

• "Server: M4700

Windows 10 is a client operating system, not a server operating system.    What you are trying to do works when the target is a server, because it is designed to handle that.  Windows 10 does not have the components required in order to have its client Hyper-V service managed remotely.

tim

Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:59 PM
  • so i need the server os

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2016

above would work i guess?

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, November 20, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Yes, that would be a possibility.  However, that is the Hyper-V Server product.  It does not have a GUI.  If you are not familiar with command line management for a Windows environment (and my hunch is that you are not because you are running Windows client), then you might have some difficulty in setting up and managing the environment.  From that same location you can request the evaluation copy of Windows Server 2016.  That can be installed with a GUI to help you get things set up.

tim

• Marked as answer by LongQuo Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Think im just gonna rdp to the client for now.... but will try out the other option later.

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:04 PM