none
RDweb access functionality with compare to Citrix. are both technoloies are similar features? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

How RDP web access is deferent than Citrix server. i have seen the microsoft documentation configuring RDP services. what actually i need is, clients accessing Server using RDweb access should first connect to Gateway server then it should established a connection to clients. is this possible by RDweb roles in windows server 2012 R2

Rabbani

RaSa

• Edited by Syed_Rabbani Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:40 PM Refined the question
    Friday, February 10, 2017 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hello All,

I thank you all of them who spare time to answers my queries...

I have re-installed everything and Configure RDP access on an Workgroup model with a single RD Gateway role has solved my problem. now my users are able to connect externally using my RD gateway...

RaSa

• Edited by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:41 AM

All replies

• what actually i need is, clients accessing Server using RDweb access should first connect to Gateway server then it should established a connection to clients. is this possible by RDweb roles in windows server 2012 R2

Hi,

Yes, it's possible.

Please select the option Use these RD Gateway server settings and specify server name within RDS Deployment Properties, and RD Gateway would be contacted after users launch RemoteApp or desktop connections.

Regarding specific network data flow, here is a comment quoted from TP within the thread below:

• Your users will connect to your RD Web (remote.yourdomain.com) over TCP port 443,
    • Next when they launch a RemoteApp they will connect to your RDG (remote.yourdomain.com) over TCP port 443 and UDP port 3391,
    • Finally your RDG will make the connection to RDCB/RDSH (rdcb.yourdomain.local) over TCP 3389 and UDP 3389.

How do I change the URL to the Remote Web Access server in Windows Server 2012?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/67dfab70-7e10-4e0b-a3c8-63ce776f2355/how-do-i-change-the-url-to-the-remote-web-access-server-in-windows-server-2012?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hi Syed_Rabbani,

Yes, it's possible

How ti works ?

After deploying RD Web Access, IIS (Microsoft Web Server) is automatically deployed with this RDS role services. you have to run InetMgr (IIS manager snap-in) and navigate to :

Default Web Site > RDWeb > Applications Settings > Look for "RDGateway setting" and set the RD Gateway name.

then all your remote users connecting to RD Web Access will be authorized (or not) by the RD Gateway before accessing to remote app or remote /virtual desktop.

HK.

Hicham KADIRI | Just Another IT Guy
    Livre de référence RDS 2012 R2 désormais disponible !
    RDS 2012 R2 reference book is now available !
    Découvrez tous mes eBooks )

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

I have already did the "Use these RD gateway" but still no success. actually when i ran netstat i should established a connection with RD gateway server IP, that is not happening...

RaSa

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

In that case, please clarify more details about your RDS deployment such as how are roles distributed and network topology.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:11 AM
  • I have installed win 2012 R2 on a Hyper-V Vm and Installed RDP roles all in a single VM

Roles installed on VM are RD connection broker, session host, Gateway Licensing along with these roles i got Installed NAP

RD gateway has all those roles i have configured the details and my browser can see RDweb access page. Than i add a server to RD session host when i try to connect this server i am establishing a normal RDP connection.

people need to access this server externally.

network LAN and WAN IP has been configured.

will you please advise me, what more infra do i need to set up this

RaSa

• Edited by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:55 AM edit
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Hi, sure i will try n come back to you please.

RaSa

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:26 AM
  • i could not see the Application settings in IIS RDwb site, will you pls explain more on this as i mentioned my RDP should use TSGATEWAY to connect any remote sessions how can i achieve this, my RDweb is functional and remote apps are working when i make a connection to other server using RDweb access its connection in my old way mstsc... what is the difference in mstsc and RDweb access?

thanks for all answers and time

RaSa

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:07 AM
  • I have installed win 2012 R2 on a Hyper-V Vm and Installed RDP roles all in a single VM

Roles installed on VM are RD connection broker, session host, Gateway Licensing along with these roles i got Installed NAP

Hi,

As all roles are installed on single VM, then network traffic would reach the RD SH directly even it's forced to use a RD Gateway.

Please install RD Gateway role on a separate VM to test.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

From external, TCP and UDP port 3389 should be blocked.  If you want both internal and external to not attempt direct connection, you need to uncheck Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses as shown in the screenshot above.

-TP

Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

i did that as shown in the above screenshot still i can not rdp.

from LAN i can RDP any servers but using WAN ip i can access rdp website but could not connect tp servers.

second item is will you please suggest me about the infrastructure of implementing RDP web access

i am using self signed certificate and all Remote Access roles on a single server as per the above suggestion is it mandatory to have a separate server for RD Gateway?

I thank you all for sparing valuable time to answers and suggestions.

RaSa

Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:27 PM
  • from LAN i can RDP any servers but using WAN ip i can access rdp website but could not connect tp servers.

Hi,

What's the specific error message displayed?

Please ensure that users are able to reach RD Gateway over WAN, and TCP port 443 is open.

It's not mandatory to have a separate server for RD Gateway, it's recommended to place RD Web Access and Gateway roles on a public-faced server.

Best Regards,

Amy

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hello All,

I thank you all of them who spare time to answers my queries...

I have re-installed everything and Configure RDP access on an Workgroup model with a single RD Gateway role has solved my problem. now my users are able to connect externally using my RD gateway...

RaSa

• Edited by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:41 AM