locked
Windows Server 2012 Direct Access clients connecting but not showing in the monitor RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have set up direct access on my network, the windows 7 client connect and can browse the network shares etc, but I have two issues.

    1. The clients do not appear in the monitoring section not sure why?

    2. I have to disable the firewall to get them to be able browse the network, obviously some ports need opening up buit which?

    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:26 AM

All replies

  • Hi There

    I have also setup Direct Access only with Windows 8 at the moment.

    The Remote Client Status section is not working for me either.

    With regards to firewalls you will need to open ports between your DA server and your file servers depending on what file shares you are using ports will vary, but SMB (standard windows file sharing) is port 445, that should allow browsing shares, bear in mind DNS resolution also needs to be working.

    Thanks

    Friday, December 7, 2012 12:17 PM
  • We also have the same problem. Everything appears to work great, no problems at all - connectivity working as it should both internally and externally etc. Although like you've said, the Remote Client status information page never shows any clients connected - at any point.

    We are running Windows 7 clients.

    Would really like to get the statuses to show up correctly as staff are quite eager to get their hands on such a great feature!



    • Edited by KyleWhite21 Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:04 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:02 PM
  • same here. any insight?
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Same here for me... Direct Access for Win7 clients are working but nothing is showing up in the monitoring section.

    I also have an issue where the ISATAP router on the DA server is not working, this despite already having a working isatap.domain.local DNS record. Any ideas?

    PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-RemoteAccessHealth

    High Availability    localhost            Disabled        1/29/2013 3:41:27 PM
    Isatap               localhost            Disabled        1/29/2013 3:41:27 PM
    Vpn Connectivity     localhost            Disabled        1/29/2013 3:41:27 PM

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:01 AM
  • same here cannot see connected client on dashboard....dont know why!
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:34 PM
  • I know this is a really old thread, but because it is on the top of the Google search results for this issue, I want to explain my solutions.

    I had this exact same issue on 2 different DirectAccess implementation with Server 2012 R2. In both instances, the issue ended up being an inconsistency in the state of the Windows Firewall on both ends. If your server's firewall is off, then the DirectAccess won't connect unless your client's firewall is also off. The resolution for me in both cases was to turn the firewalls on at both ends (one implementation had a GPO that turned off the firewalls on the servers) and the clients could immediately connect. No need to worry about DirectAccess ports on either end because the GPOs created by the role configuration will manage those automatically.

    Hopefully, if anybody else stumbles across this thread, this will help them resolve the issue they are having as well. I found that checking the server's firewall settings weren't on the top of my list either time.

    Thanks,

    Don

    Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:15 PM
  • I know this is a really old thread, but because it is on the top of the Google search results for this issue, I want to explain my solutions.

    I had this exact same issue on 2 different DirectAccess implementation with Server 2012 R2. In both instances, the issue ended up being an inconsistency in the state of the Windows Firewall on both ends. If your server's firewall is off, then the DirectAccess won't connect unless your client's firewall is also off. The resolution for me in both cases was to turn the firewalls on at both ends (one implementation had a GPO that turned off the firewalls on the servers) and the clients could immediately connect. No need to worry about DirectAccess ports on either end because the GPOs created by the role configuration will manage those automatically.

    Hopefully, if anybody else stumbles across this thread, this will help them resolve the issue they are having as well. I found that checking the server's firewall settings weren't on the top of my list either time.

    Thanks,

    Don

    Thank you Iowa, helped me to solve my problem.

    MCSE, MCSE +M & MCSE +S

    Friday, June 23, 2017 1:34 AM
  • This worked for me as well...works fine on Server 2016 DA...now I can see what the status of my DA clients.  Awesome!
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:47 PM