DFSR backlog not reducing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm concerned with a set up we have for a client. We are looking to replace their on-site file server as it is on its last legs. It replicates to a server in our hosting facility. The two servers are Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2.

There is one replication group with 5 associated folders. There are currently backlogs against 3 of these folders. I have restarted the dfsr service,  there are no events showing indicating any problems and the Health Report only shows the following warnings:

Hosted Server   (3 warnings)    (View Server
    Details)

DFS Replication failed to clean up old staging files
    for replicated folder DATA.

Premature purging of staging files is impacting
    performance on replicated folder DATA.

The DFS Replication service is restarting frequently.

<v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Minus"></v:vmlframe>Remote Server   (4
    warnings)    
    (View Server
    Details)

Pre-existing content is not replicated and is
    consuming disk space.

consuming disk space.

consuming disk space.

This member is waiting for initial replication for
    replicated folder Archives.

We need this to be up to date. There is another server (the replacement) that is in the topology that is only connected to the hosted server. Until this replacement is up to date, there is no point in us providing this to the client.

Could anyone help me with further diagnosis of this?

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:49 PM

Answers

• We now have an up to date backup of the clients (failing) server on site. This issue is now moot, as we will be replacing this server very shortly. Thanks for your help though.
    • Edited by AmandaJayne Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by AmandaJayne Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:54 PM

All replies

• Have you tried forcing replication? Do you get any errors? See the below link.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/file-systems/q-forcing-dfs-replication-dfsr-members-to-replicate--98453
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Replication schedule is constant, so I don't think the syncnow command will help.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Agreed, but from a troubleshooting perspective it may (or may not) give you some more to go on. I mainly wanted to see if that command generated any additional error messages or not.

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

If size of replication data is large, you could pre-staging with tools like robocopy to first copy files to target server before DFSR start working. This will same the initial replication time. Also for your current situation you could test to enlarge the staging folder size if there is any large file ready to be replicated. Also as Andy said, try to get more information including error message. You could search in Event log and DFSR log over c:\windows\debug.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:24 AM
  • The data already exists on the server here, we've been backing this location up for years. I have already increased the staging file sizes to try to get this moving. As mentioned in my original post, there are no events in the log that indicate any issues with replication.

Andy, I have tried a SyncNow, and received an Operation Succeeded, but the backlog is still not reducing.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if you could find the DfsrPrivate\Preexisting folder. The DfsrPrivate\Preexisting folder is a hidden system  folder that is located under the local path of the replicated folder.

It you could find the folder, move the folder to some other place and restart the DFSR service to see whether same issue still exists.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:14 AM
  • On which server? On the server which receives the files, all the preexisting folders are empty anyway...
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

Then please have a try on the following hotfix:

2285835       An outgoing replication backlog occurs after you convert a read/write replicated folder to a read-only replicated folder in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2285835

Install this hotfix to all of the DFSR members, then disable and enable the membership to trigger another initial sync to see the result. 

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:13 AM
  • I don't think that hotfix applies to our set up; both servers are 2003 R2
    Friday, January 25, 2013 9:15 AM
  • We now have an up to date backup of the clients (failing) server on site. This issue is now moot, as we will be replacing this server very shortly. Thanks for your help though.
    • Edited by AmandaJayne Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by AmandaJayne Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:54 PM