none
Error When Starting VM Failed to create memory contents file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I"m experiencing issue with a VM that has previsoulsy been snapshotted. The snap shots have been since deleted via the Hyper V Manager. The snap shots were not applied to the VM. Also no .avhd files have been deleted via Windows Explorer

When I start the VM I get the following error message.

[Window Title]
    Hyper-V Manager

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred while attempting to change the state of virtual machine MyVirtualMachine.

[Content]
    'MyVirtualMachine' failed to initialize.

Failed to create memory contents file 'D:\Virtual Machines\MyVirtualMachine\MyVirtualMachine\MyVirtualMachine\Virtual Machines\25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E\25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E.bin' of size 4096 MB.

[Expanded Information]
    'MyVirtualMachine' failed to initialize. (Virtual machine 25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E)

'MyVirtualMachine' failed to create memory contents file 'D:\Virtual Machines\MyVirtualMachine\MyVirtualMachine\MyVirtualMachine\Virtual Machines\25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E\25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E.bin' of size 4096 MB. (Virtual machine 25AB3A86-2950-457A-8D54-9B313E2D575E)

[V] See details  [Close]

Suggestions Welcomed,

Thanks Adam

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up contacing Micrsoft Support for this case.

The solutoin was to create a new VM and attach the VHD to it as the .AVHD files had not previosly been applied as Snap Shot.

Thanks,

adam

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check whether you receive these error logs: Event ID 3130, 3131, 3320 or 3321.

Check the environment in which the start virtual machine operation was being attempted, including:

1. access and permissions to the configuration file, memory file and all image files
    2. prior error messages in the event log
    3. available RAM on the system
    4. configuration settings
    5. disk space for the memory file and any expanding virtual hard disks

Once the necessary issues have been rectified, try to start the virtual machine again.

If the problem continues, restart the VMMS Service.

To restart the VMMS service using the command prompt:

1. On the computer that has the stopped service, open a command prompt as local administrator and type the following:

net stop nvpswmi

If the service is not running, you will see the error "The Hyper-V Networking Management service is not started."

3. On the command prompt type the following command to start the nvpswmi service

net start nvspwmi

If the service start starts you will see the message "The Hyper-V Networking Management service was start successfully."

To restart VMMS using PowerShell:

1. On the computer that has the stopped service, open a command prompt as local administrator and type the following:

C:\PS>restart-service vmms

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Event ID 3130 — Virtual Machine Start Operation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582385(v=ws.10).aspx
    Event ID 3131 — Virtual Machine Start Operation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582367(v=ws.10).aspx
    Event ID 3320 — Virtual Machine Start Operation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582317(v=ws.10).aspx
    Event ID 3321 — Virtual Machine Start Operation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581892(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up contacing Micrsoft Support for this case.

The solutoin was to create a new VM and attach the VHD to it as the .AVHD files had not previosly been applied as Snap Shot.

Thanks,

adam

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You experience and solution can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your contribution to Windows Server Forum!

Have a nice day!

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Thank you for sharing this solution. Helped me solve a similar problem.

Peter Elzinga - MCP / MCAD

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:31 PM