none
Force each new specific user app launch to take a new host - RDS 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a OCR software published as a RemoteApp distributed in several servers. The problem is that this software only allows one simultaneous connections per user, per server. In some scenarios I have to run multiples instances of this software simultaneously. I do not want to connect manually to the available host to launch the software. I really want to use it as an RemoteApp. Is there a policy or any other way to force, in a given collection, each new specific user app launch to take a new host. To give an example:

simple RDS architecture: 1 broker + 5 hosts (A to E) - RemoteApp : App1

User Paul launch App1 - broker takes server A

Paul launch 2nd instance of App1 - broker cannot take Server A, it takes server C.

Fred launch App1  -­­­­­­­ broker takes server A.

Paul 3rd instance of App1 - broker cannot take server A or C, it takes server B.

Fred 2nd App1 - server D

Paul closes 2nd instance

Paul launch 4th instance - broker may now take server C again as 2nd instance is now closed.

Sorry for the long example. Just to clear.

Regards,

Lucas

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Lucas,

Unfortunately there is no built-in functionality to do what you want.  Have you looked at using some sort of virtualization solution (App-V perhaps) to allow the software to run multiple instances on the same server, assuming it doesn't violate the license terms?  Have you determined the precise technical reason why the software is limited to one instance per server?

-TP

• Marked as answer by LucasGC Monday, December 16, 2019 11:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with TP, within RDS itself, I am afraid it is unable to achieved. 

A workaround would be:
    Build collection for each RD session host, and publish the application for each collection. Then, manually select one of them to establish the remote app connection.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Lucas,

Unfortunately there is no built-in functionality to do what you want.  Have you looked at using some sort of virtualization solution (App-V perhaps) to allow the software to run multiple instances on the same server, assuming it doesn't violate the license terms?  Have you determined the precise technical reason why the software is limited to one instance per server?

-TP

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with TP, within RDS itself, I am afraid it is unable to achieved. 

A workaround would be:
    Build collection for each RD session host, and publish the application for each collection. Then, manually select one of them to establish the remote app connection.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:42 AM