Cluster Shared Volumes has failover? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not asking about fail-over in hyper-v.

The overview on what I'm asking is Server A and Server B are using Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV). Can CSV be setup so if Server A dies then Server B pickup load? For some odd reason I can't find information on this. I keep getting stuff about hyper-v and CSV, or salesman's lip services information on CSV. But not the detail and how-to, which is why I'm asking here.

In CSV can I have it so Server A can have 1 TB driver and Server A has two 500 GB (which combine equal to 1 TB) be setup so services a fail-over in example above?

Edit: From what I readed it seem CSV just use hard drive available from a server. Wouldn't this cause single-point-failure? I don't see in the reading that if CSV disk/volume dies it will fail-over to different volume/disk.

• Edited by TheMadCat_ Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:43 AM Fix very bad type-o
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that you have some misunderstanding, CSV is an enhancements for Failover Cluster, you can’t use it independently.

If you want to let another computer to pick up the load while another computer dies, you should use Failover Cluster.

Failover Cluster is available with Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, however, CSV is only available with Windows Server 2008 R2. If you want to use Failover Cluster with Windows Server 2008, you have to dedicate a LUN to one VM, that means you can’t put several VMs in one LUN. Now, it’s changed, you can put many VMs in a big LUN if you enable CSV in Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster.

By the way, CSV is only support for Hyper-V, that means if you want to run a SQL server Failover Cluster, you can’t use CSV, the only way is to put Hyper-V VMs in CSV folder.

For more information, you can refer to:

Understanding Cluster Shared Volumes in a Failover Cluster

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759255.aspx

Cluster Shared Volumes Support for Hyper-V

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd630633%28WS.10%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, December 20, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

.... CSV is an enhancements for Failover Cluster, you can’t use it independently.

If you want to let another computer to pick up the load while another computer dies, you should use Failover Cluster.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Link didn't help as I look at those before. But it seem I understand what I need to look into. CSV just enable a lun to allow several VMs in one LUN. In short it tell Failover Cluster that it can do this. So, for what I want I need look into Failover Cluster for the answer. Thank You.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that you have some misunderstanding, CSV is an enhancements for Failover Cluster, you can’t use it independently.

Failover Cluster is available with Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, however, CSV is only available with Windows Server 2008 R2. If you want to use Failover Cluster with Windows Server 2008, you have to dedicate a LUN to one VM, that means you can’t put several VMs in one LUN. Now, it’s changed, you can put many VMs in a big LUN if you enable CSV in Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster.

By the way, CSV is only support for Hyper-V, that means if you want to run a SQL server Failover Cluster, you can’t use CSV, the only way is to put Hyper-V VMs in CSV folder.

For more information, you can refer to:

Understanding Cluster Shared Volumes in a Failover Cluster

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759255.aspx

Cluster Shared Volumes Support for Hyper-V

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd630633%28WS.10%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

.... CSV is an enhancements for Failover Cluster, you can’t use it independently.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Link didn't help as I look at those before. But it seem I understand what I need to look into. CSV just enable a lun to allow several VMs in one LUN. In short it tell Failover Cluster that it can do this. So, for what I want I need look into Failover Cluster for the answer. Thank You.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:04 PM