none
dns error 407,408 RRS feed

• Question

• dears,

kindly note the below.

i had 2 2012r2 dcs and upgraded them to 2019.

2019 dcs took the ips of 2012r2 and the 2012r2 dcs are demoted.

ipconfig /registerdns was used on the new servers.

DNS a record is showing that the new servers has the old ips which is true.

deleted all records pointing to old dcs from my dns.

the issue is the following: i;m receiving errors on my new dcs: 

event 407:The DNS server could not bind a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket to (its own ip). The event data is the error code. Restart the DNS server or reboot your computer.

event 408: he DNS server could not open socket for address ( its own ip).
    Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parameters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.)
    If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.

i searched for some troubleshooting tips:

and i checked i only have on interface in each dc.

NS Manager -> Expand Forward Lookup Zones->right click _msdcs.domain.foo-> properties-> Name Servers-> point to itself.

the above was verified: on each dc the name server point to its ip address.

what could it be dears>

any idea

best regards,

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:21 AM
  • Take a look at the following help article from Microsoft Support and evaluate the possibility for the solution: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/279678/events-407-and-408-are-reported-in-the-dns-server-event-log

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

>>2019 dcs took the ips of 2012r2 and the 2012r2 dcs are demoted.

How do you upgrade to Windows server 2019? In-place upgrade or migrate the Windows server 2012 r2 to Windows server 2019?

Please run the command: dcdiag to check the status of you DCs.

About the Event ID 407 and 408, you can refer the following link:

Event ID 408

Event ID 407

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    Best regards,
    Ellen

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:33 AM