Multiple users accessing a VM under Hyper-V, Is this possible? RRS feed

• Question

• How can you allow multiple users to use a VM that was created in Hyper-v? Is this possible just like it was in Virtual Server where more than one person could access and use a VM at the same time? In Hyper-V, it seems that if one user is accessing it, and another wants to use the same VM, it prompts to disconnect the other person. Is this not possible anymore?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

• You aren't providing enough information. What is being used to connect to the virtual machine?

If you are using Remote Desktop Connection, the issue isn't a Hyper-V issue, but a Windows issue instead. If the virtual machine is running XP or Vista, multiple connections are not allowed. When a new user attempts to logon, a prompt to disconnect the current user appears. If the virtual machine is running a server operating system such as 2003 or 2008, then those operating systems allow simultaneous users.
    • Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:00 PM
  • From my experience, when you log in with the hyper-v Manager, you are logging into the console.  This should only allow one connection at a time. Using  RDP (remote desktop) would probably be the better solution, but XP and Vista will still only allow one person logged in at a time. If you want multiple users logging into a machine, having the correct number of terminal server licenses and using a server OS is the best solution.
    Scotty
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:55 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:13 PM
  • The Hyper-V manager can be used by any user with administrative rights on that server.

(please note - you can get really granular here with Authorization Manager policies that only allow very specific actions against the VMs and nothing on the Host).

However, you can only make one console connection to a single VM at a time.  I believe this was an option in Virtual Server but is now enforced for security reasons.

You can always RDP direct to the VM (if it is a Windows OS of course).

And, You can check out Self Service with SCVMM 2008.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:57 PM

All replies

• You aren't providing enough information. What is being used to connect to the virtual machine?

If you are using Remote Desktop Connection, the issue isn't a Hyper-V issue, but a Windows issue instead. If the virtual machine is running XP or Vista, multiple connections are not allowed. When a new user attempts to logon, a prompt to disconnect the current user appears. If the virtual machine is running a server operating system such as 2003 or 2008, then those operating systems allow simultaneous users.
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for the input. In our situation, each user would be using the hyper-v Manager from their PCs. They would not be using Remote Desktop. Does your answer still apply for XP and Vista with this interface?  Does that change anything on the 2003 and 2008 VM's as well?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:05 PM
  • From my experience, when you log in with the hyper-v Manager, you are logging into the console.  This should only allow one connection at a time. Using  RDP (remote desktop) would probably be the better solution, but XP and Vista will still only allow one person logged in at a time. If you want multiple users logging into a machine, having the correct number of terminal server licenses and using a server OS is the best solution.
    Scotty
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:13 PM
  • The Hyper-V manager can be used by any user with administrative rights on that server.

(please note - you can get really granular here with Authorization Manager policies that only allow very specific actions against the VMs and nothing on the Host).

However, you can only make one console connection to a single VM at a time.  I believe this was an option in Virtual Server but is now enforced for security reasons.

You can always RDP direct to the VM (if it is a Windows OS of course).

And, You can check out Self Service with SCVMM 2008.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:57 PM
  •  

In Virtual Server 2005, we were able to use VMRC (virtual machine remote client) to connect and we were able to have others view the session from their pc.

There is a setting in Virtual Server that allowed for this. We are trying to accomplish the same thing in Hyper-V but we can't find a way to do this. The clients would be using Hyper-V Remote Management (virtmgmt.msc) to access the VM's. Sorry if I wasn't clear about how they access Hyper-V. Is there a way to accomplish the same as with VMRC for VS 2005?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Virtual Server uses VNC under the covers to allow remote desktop connections - VNC does allow screen sharing.

Hyper-V uses RDP (the Host actually uses RDP to server a VM console) - RDP does not allow screen sharing.

You would need to set up some other method of accessing the VM deskstop if screen sharing is required.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:31 PM
  • John PC, Scotty, and Brian.... Thank you all for your wonderful input. It is greatly appreciated that your taking the time to help out.

Brian, In your last post, that is exactly what we are trying to accomplish. Any suggestion how we can go about setting up another method of accessing the VM desktops with screen sharing?

Again, thanks so much!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  There are several versions of VNC avaiable for free online.  A couple of my fav's are Tight VNC and Ultra VNC.  I believe there is management capabilities for this software as well, but this may be paid.  Installing this on the servers may work, but from my own experience Tight VNC did not play well with Windows Server 2008.  You may get better results.  I personally like VNC to work with, as it gives some good capablilties, and is very easy to work with.  Also, with the managment capapbilities, you can have AD login setup.
    Scotty
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:38 PM
  • If your security policy allows it you can use VNC, or RAdmin.

Many security policies don't allow the ports to be open that these applications use, because the applications can also be configured in such a way as to be a hack tool allowing a backdoor intrusion (consider that the generic - at your own risk).

Either way you would install within the VM, not on the Host.

• Edited by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:40 PM ....
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:39 PM
  • hello,

I have installed hyper-v r2 server and installed multiple guests inside. I am using hyper-v manager and it does not allow multiple users to use the console at the same time. I was wondering if I install SCVMM r2 (I have never used SCVMM yet) - will it allow me to connect multiple users to the console from SCVMM management?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:20 AM
  • OK, so I have another questions.

Lets say I have 11 VMs running on a Hyper-V server.

10 servers and 1 RDS server.

I want my 10 users to be able to connect to the RDS server and then user vmconnect.exe to connect to the console of thier virtual machine.

I want to allow each non-admin direct access to only one console of a VM that I specify.

I DO NOT want it to be website based.

It is my understanding that  "Authorization Manager policies" is NOT granular enough to allow certain non-admin access to only certain VMs

I cannot use RD because network interfaces may be disabled in the VM.

Thank you for your help and suggestions,

Mark

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:08 AM