Will Apple iPOD Nano 5th generation media player be supported by Remote Desktop Connection v.7?

Question

• I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and connecting to Server 2008 R2 via Remote Desktop Connection v.7.  My iPOD Nano player is recognized on my local Windows 7 as a media player OK.  But it is not seen as a media player when I am connected to the Server via RDC v.7.  Other media players do get redirected OK over the RDC connection (such as Sansa Fuze, Creative Zen), but not the iPOD.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi lrpacs,

1.      How long have you been experiencing this problem?

2.      Are you getting any error message?

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if the issue is resolved.

Redirecting a device on your computer makes it available for use in a Remote Desktop session. You can redirect most devices, including printers, smart cards, serial ports, drives, Plug and Play devices, media players based on the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), and digital cameras based on the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). You can also redirect your Clipboard.

To redirect devices and resources

1.      Open Remote Desktop Connection by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Remote Desktop Connection, and then, in the list of results, click Remote Desktop Connection.

2.      Click Options, and then click the Local Resources tab.

3.      Under Local devices and resources, select the devices or resources you want to redirect.

4.      To see additional devices, or to redirect Plug and Play devices or drives and devices that you plug in later, click More.

5.      To redirect supported Plug and Play devices, under Local devices and resources, double-click Other supported Plug and Play (PnP) devices.

The Plug and Play devices that support redirection and are currently plugged in appear in this list.

6.      Select the check box next to each device that you want to redirect.

7.      To automatically redirect drives or devices that you plug in or connect to in the future, under Local devices and resources, double-click Drives, and then click Drives that I plug in later.
    – or –
    Double-click Other supported Plug and Play (PnP) devices, and then click Devices that I plug in later.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-can-I-use-my-devices-and-resources-in-a-Remote-Desktop-session

Hope this information helped!

Thanks and regards

Fouzan – Microsoft support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-%20US/answersfeedback/threads and let 

us know what you think.

Friday, January 22, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Fouzan:

Thank you for your information.  I did check all the configurations you mention and they are correct.  The problem with the iPOD did not just begin, my RDC 7 session has NEVER seen the iPOD.  There are no error messages either, just no recognition of the media player device.  I believe the problem may be that the iPOD does not conform to the MTP protocol.  I think Apple uses a transfer protcol called iSync. 

However, on my local Windows 7 I can see the iPOD and transfer files to and from it, so apparently Windows 7 can work with an iSync protocol.  The problem seems to be that Remote Desktop 7 / Server 2008 R2 combination cannot do what Windows 7 alone can do which is see the iPOD as a media player device and load a device driver for it.

Do you think there is any chance that Remote Desktop will incorporate support of iPOD?

Thank you,

Noel
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Hello Irpacs,

I am moving your post to the WIndows Server 2008 forum.
    They should be better suited to answer your question.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi Irpacs,

As you mentioned, the issue only occurs with iPOD and other media players get redirected OK over the RDC connection. I suggest that you contact iPOD to check if it is supported to use iPOD in this scenario, because we do not have information about iPOD.

Thank you for your understanding.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:53 AM