none
Issues installing NanoServer on a physical machine Windows Server Technical Preview 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

Im trying to install NanoServer (Windows Server 2016 TP4) on a physical machine and im following the procedure mentioned on the MSDN NanoServer page. After creating the vhdx file for native boot and adding the boot loader entry for nanoserver the physical machine fails to boot from the VHDx. In the boot manager I see the NanoServer entry that I created but when I select the NS option the machine reboots everytime.

It seems like for some reason the vhd drive is not being recognised as a bootable device. 

Any suggestions that may alleviate this issue ?

Monday, November 30, 2015 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew

I was able to fix this issue just today morning. 
    My machine uses UEFI boot. Initially I had set the "path" value of the Nanoserver boot entry to winload.exe like so as it says on the MSDN article:

bcdedit /set {GUID} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

I changed this to point to \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi instead and it was able to boot fine.

Now, when I changed it to \windows\system32\winload.efi (note the path difference) I got a 0xc000000f startup error. Is there a difference in providing the ...\boot\ path vs the other ?

Also, it would probably help to include this caveat in the "Getting Started with NanoServer" MSDN article. 

Thanks

Ishaan

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please share the following info to help us troubleshoot?

• command line used to create the VHD(X)
    • the output of bcdedit /enum
    • the path of where the VHD(X) is located
    • is your hardware using BIOS or UEFI?

Thanks,

Andrew

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Hi Andrew

I was able to fix this issue just today morning. 
    My machine uses UEFI boot. Initially I had set the "path" value of the Nanoserver boot entry to winload.exe like so as it says on the MSDN article:

bcdedit /set {GUID} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

I changed this to point to \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi instead and it was able to boot fine.

Now, when I changed it to \windows\system32\winload.efi (note the path difference) I got a 0xc000000f startup error. Is there a difference in providing the ...\boot\ path vs the other ?

Also, it would probably help to include this caveat in the "Getting Started with NanoServer" MSDN article. 

Thanks

Ishaan

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear you got it working.

Yes, the path level is different between Server and Nano Server. You can also use bcdboot.exe to set this up for you.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:12 AM