none
RAID disk not seen from WInPE boot RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We have a system with 3ware raid controler card configure as RAID1.

We are trying to build a standard Windows server 2008 image that can be installed in any System, by providing a system dependant unattend.xml file.

As a test first I have generate an unattend.xml file using WAIK. Then I have generate a WinPe boot disk.

When generating the WinPE boot disk, I have follow this procedure in order to add to WinPE boot my Raid controler driver:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2349-guide-adding-drivers-to-a-custom-winpe-30/

The problem I have when booting from WinPe and listing volumes from DISKPART is that I cannot see my Disk mounted as RAID 1.

Any idea what can be wrong ?

regards

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• A fresh RAID1 wouldn't have any volumes on it. Does it show up as Disk 0 if you run LIST DISK ?
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:56 PM
  • yes I can see my disk 0 when running LIST disk.

Then how can I apply my .win image file to Disk 0 as it does not have any letter ?

My ImageX command is as follow :

ImageX /apply <Drive>:\sys.wim 1 c:

C should be my disk 0 in fact but instead c is my USB stick as Disk 0 has no letter.

Any idea how should I do to apply my image file to Disk 0 ?

regards

serge

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:18 PM
  • I got it working now.

thanks

Friday, September 6, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi Serge,

Can you please post how did you resolve the issue? I am having similar issue here & I am unable to see the Disk Drives in WinPE 3.0. I have 2 3TB Hard Disk Drives connected & it needs Intel RAID drivers to load to see the drives in DISKPART "List Disk" command. I used drvload.exe & it shows success but actually it didn't load the drivers & I am unable to see the drives.

But interestingly I am able to load the RAID drivers manually in Windows 7 Setup screen.

Please help me to load the drivers in WinPE.

Thanks,

Sourav D Gupta

Born to Learn

Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:05 PM
  • You can manually load drivers into WinPE, aside from just injecting them into your WIM using DISM. Example command you run from the command prompt:

drvload d:\path_to_folder\driver.inf

You can do testing this way to determine if you have the correct driver before injecting it into the image. Note in my example "d:\" may not be the drive letter where your driver files are located. I didn't want to use the universal "x:\" example/placeholder drive letter as it already exists in WinPE.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

I have mentioned that I have already used drvload.exe to add the driver online. It showed successful but actually it didn't add the drivers & the drives are also not showing up.

Any other way I can add the driver? Perhaps any other tool?

Thanks,

Sourav D Gupta

Born to Learn

Friday, March 27, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Sorry, I must have missed your mention of that. If you added the driver with drvload and the disk is not shown by Diskpart, then it is the wrong driver.

I would also try using WinPE5 and see how that works.

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Hi Tripredacus,

I have used WinPE 4 disk to boot the computer. I am able to see the Hard Disks. I didn't add any specific storage drivers in WinPE 4 image. It can recognize the Hard Disks automatically. But my requirement is I have to use WinPE 3 to deploy the OS (Windows Embedded Standard 7) image. 

Workstation Model: HP Z440

RAID Controller: LSI 9217 SAS

Can I extract the WinPE 4 drivers & inject those drivers in WinPE 3? Will this work? Any idea?

Please help.

Thanks & Regards,

Sourav D Gupta

Born to Learn

Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:51 AM