none
RdCms database missing stops RDS totally

Question

• Hello,

I have been looking into a customer RDS (single server) that stopped working today. I don't know all the background but it looks to me like the Remote Desktop Management service is wanting a database called RdCms on a local Internal Windows Database. That database doesn't exist.

The server is Windows 2012 Std and no other errors are reported.

Is there a way to recreate the database or reinstall a role that will fix Remote Desktop Management without removing everything related to RDS (remote app config etc.) on the server?

Thanks
    Erik

Erik, with many, many certs! ;-)

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Erik,

Do you have any idea as to what happened to the database?

Are the database and log files still there?  By default they are under c:\windows\rdcbdb folder.

Is the Windows Internal Database service started?

Did the server crash, go down due to power outage, etc., recently?

-TP

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

Do you have any idea as to what happened to the database?

Are the database and log files still there?  By default they are under c:\windows\rdcbdb folder.

Is the Windows Internal Database service started?

Did the server crash, go down due to power outage, etc., recently?

-TP

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

well - I've found some stuff in the logs and can make good guesses:
    - Windows Update installed a new Intel NIC driver, at that point the server lost it's network briefly and shortly afterwards there was an unexpected shutdown.

- SQL starts logging that there is an error in the database and recommends dbcc checkdb

- SQL has detatched the DB but the database and the logfile is in the location you mentioned (I have really tried to find information about this database with very limited luck)

- The server is localized, Swedish. I'm mentioning that because I've seen some threads on the topic where that is relevant.

I was about to attach the database but ran into connection issues with Studio Express. Working on that now and also performing a reboot.

I'll update briefly

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Please use this for the server name in SSMS:

\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query

If you are unable to bring the database back on line you could try restoring a recent backup.  If there have not been any changes to the deployment/published RemoteApps/etc. recently then you should be okay with a slightly out-of-date RDCms database.

-TP

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Got it to work, thanks!

I did use that string to WID but it turned out I had to run it logged on as .\Administrator. When in the SQL Studio I could attach the DB (didn't have to run checkdb or anything) and all is well!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:57 PM