none
Cluster Quorum Wizard: Not a valid file share path RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to change the FSW path using the Configure Cluster Quorum Wizard I got the error " '\\host\share' is not a valid file share path."

Environment:
    - Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008,
    - CCR cluster, 2 mailbox server nodes,
    - Rollup 6,
    - FSW share currently on a Windows 2003 domain controller.

The existing FSW was configured with the physical host name and I want to change it to use a cname.

The above error happens even when just accepting the existing FSW path! Ie the one that is currently working! At least I have every reason to believe it is working as the service is operational and cluster.exe reports the FSW resource as being Online, and in the share are recently updated log files.

In case it was a permissions issue I tried giving Everyone-Full Control to the share (and NTFS), but I still get the same error. I also cannot move the FSW to a newly created share - they are all "not a valid file share path".

Now for my questions:

1. Has anyone seen this error? I can't find anything about it and have been unable to reproduce it in a lab.

2. What are the cluster.exe commands to change the path of the FSW? The help only tells you how to create a new FSW resource. I was not able to delete the existing FSW resource: "The cluster resource could not be deleted since it is a core resource".

NOTE: I have already posted this on the appropriate Exchange forum and just got RTFM, which is not really fair, seeing as I was following the FM when I ran into trouble. Also this seems to be a straight problem with being unable to move the FSW - and that is a clustering rather than an exchange issue.

Thanks,
    Carol

http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

I thank you for your reply, and for putting in the time to find those links  ... however I don't find anything there to help me. The only commands I see are for creating a new FSW, not changing an existing one, which is what I need.

My current plan of action is to change the cluster to Majority Node. My tests in the lab have shown that this deletes the existing FSW resource. I shall then attempt to set the cluster back to majority Node with File Share Witness, and hopefully create the new FSW at the same time.

However the system is at a customer site so I have to wait for a suitable maintenance window and customer approval etc.

I had a good look at the DNS while I was there, and it seemed ok. WINS I don't know. Does it really need WINS?

Thanks again,
    Carol

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:37 PM
  • You can change the FSW in Failover Cluster Manager, but first I need to know if the share is located on another cluster or on a server that is not a member of a cluster.  If the share is on another W2K8 cluster, then using a CNAME will not work...so let me know.

Thanks.
    Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:05 PM
  • No I can't change the FSW in *this* installation because it gives this error "Not a valid file share path" for *any* share path you happen to give it. I tried about three different ones, including the existing in-use share, and a couple of newly created ones (on different servers). It was not on a cluster - it is on another windows 2003 server.

I'm still waiting for a suitable time to get back to the customer site and try the approach I outlined above. Thanks for your reply,

Carol

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Hi all,

although this thread is old ... I baked for this problem and the solution was:
    I added the user that I connected to the cluster to configure FSW as local administrator on the file share server.

Att.
    Marcelo Fernandes

Não Perca o Worldwide Online TechDay 2010

Um evento gratuito com grandes personalidades (Buck Woody, Chad Miller, Steve Jones, Fabricio Catae e muito mais...

Eu vou falar sobre particionamento de tabelas registre-se

Acesse o site do evento http://www.online.techday.net.br

MCP, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS.
    Se útil, classifique!!!
    Me siga no twitter: @marcelodba

Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Hi, i am facing the same problem, i need to change my FSW, i have added a new FSW successfully but how i can configure my cluster to use this new FSW,

FYI I am using Exchange Server 2007 SP1 & OS is Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks,
    M.Zahid

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:49 PM
  • I was running into the same problem.  Could create the new FSW, but it didn't change the quorum settings, nor could I delete the original file share.  I ended up changing the quorum type using the "Configure Cluster Quorum Wizard", setting it temporarily to "Node Majority".  I then deleted all of the FSW in the cluster.  Then I returned to the "Configure Cluster Quorum Wizard" and ran through selecting the "Node and File Share Majority" and setting the File Share to the new share.
    Brian Smith Fujimi Corporation Information Systems Manager
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Hi Carol -

I know this is an extremely old post - but did you find a resolution to your problem?

If so - please share. I'm having the same issue with 2008 R2 cluster. The current file share is on a 2003 server - I'm trying to move the FSW to a new file share on a 2012 server. The share itself seems to be set correctly as I can access from a unc path but get a 'not a valid file share path' when trying to move the FSW .

Thanks

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:42 PM
  • The easiest way, and the way I have done it multiple times, is to use the cluster manager to change the quorum model to something else then use the cluster manager itself to create the share instead of trying to create the share manually and using it.  I have been able to create the share manually, but it has always been easier to just let the cluster create the share.  That ensures that it is set up the way the cluster wants it.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Dear Carol,

We are facing the same issue. Did you resolve this issue, if yes, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Rashid

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:48 AM