none
Baremetal recovery from iSCSI target RRS feed

• Question

• I am experimenting with iSCSI targets (OpenFiler) for network backup of Windows 2008 server and Windows 7.  Backups are working fine but now I get to restore testing and realize I cannot see the iSCSI storage for a baremetal restore.  Of course the volumes on the iSCSI target are available for restore from a working system.

Is it possible to access the iSCSI volumes during a baremetal disaster recovery?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• From backup application perspective you can initiate recovery as long as backup target is available as NTFS volume on the system. If Openfiler can do it in WinRE BMR should work.

Thanks, Chirag G [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:52 AM

All replies

• BMR from iSCSI volumes is not the recommended way. Also WinRE does not contain iSCSI initiater.

Since BMR is not a frequent operation you can copy the backup from <BackupTarget>\WindowsImageBackup\* to external disk and try BMR by attaching it to the test machine.

Thanks, Chirag G [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Couldn't you also create a share from Openfiler and do your BMR through that?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:41 PM
  • From backup application perspective you can initiate recovery as long as backup target is available as NTFS volume on the system. If Openfiler can do it in WinRE BMR should work.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:52 AM
  • Hey - Did you ever figure out a solution to this?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:34 PM
  • Hello, I would also be interested in the answer to this question...

I also have 2k8 servers backing up via the windows backup to an iscsi target. I am unable to find any information on implementing a software icsi initiator in the windows setup disc environment. The primary issues I see with the windows backup tool is that the backup destination, while ntfs is not labeled with a drive letter and therefore not easily copied to a network share for restore. Is the only option here to buy a iscsi HBA for the physical servers to use the windows backup for BMR?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hello All,

Here is a work around that I have found to do a BMR from a iscsi windows backup using the 2K8 install disk.

How to bare metal restore a backup form an iscsi drive made with the Windows 2008 Server Backup utility.

1)     On a network connected computer use the iscsi initiator to connect to the iscsi target that housed the Windows 2008 system backup.

2)     Using Windows share the newly connected drive on the network.

3)     Boot your new hardware from the 2K8 install disk.

4)     At the install Windows screen Select your regional settings and Next

5)     Select Repair your computer

6)     System Recovery Options should be blank for BRM, click Next

7)     Select Windows Complete PC Restore

8)     At the alert window select cancel

9)     Select Restore a different backup and Next

10) Click Advanced and Search for a backup on the network

11) Select yes to connect to the network

12) Enter the unc path to the computer and share above and OK

13) Enter your credentials and OK

14) Select  the backup and Next

15) Select the backup time to restore to and Next

16) Next

17) Finish (note the drive you restore to will need to be at least the same size as the drive that the computer was imaged from)

18) Confirm that you want to format the new drive and OK

• Proposed as answer by Fred Stephani Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Great answer, but OMG what a KLUDGE.  M$soft, how long has Iscsi been around?   Did you ever think someone, (maybe even an enterprise) would want to backup to Iscsi?  And, no initiatior on the boot disk?  Mount your stuff to a workstation and share it out, or copy it to a local drive.????  How long will that slow down the recovery?  Double the time at least right?  And now that we are restoring from a network share , guess what?    Multiple points in time will not be available.  With SMB, you get the last backup and thats it.  Yet another problem with this infantile MS Windows backup program.  Please to install the ability to fire off Iscsi initiatior with 2008 recovery disk, Maybe in 2013?    Maybe emergency service pack update because am I the only one find this completely stoopid?
    • Proposed as answer by RenanPRO Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:10 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:04 PM
  • You need to add the iSCSI initiator software in the windows pre-installation environment. You will have to create your own customized Windows installation CD.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RedShift11 Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:59 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:59 PM
  • This might be late to the game, but this is how I do it:

1) Mount the iscsi volume on a different box on the network and share the directory

2) start the BMR and point it to that network share

3) when the restore completes and before you reboot the box, disconnect the iscsi volume on the sharing computer (very important if you don't have MI enabled on the iscsi volume)

Friday, November 2, 2012 2:32 AM
  • I just went through this. It was rather simple using WINDOWS 2012 as the target (hosting ISCSI DISKS) and windows 2008 R2 as the initiator (using ISCSI DISK)

Since your itiator server is dead and can't access the backup volume through winPE or winRE, disable the disk on the target server.

Go to the directory that has the VHD and right click mount the volume.

Find the drive letter it mounted as and click share. Adjust permissions accordingly.

Follow Freds steps:

3)     Boot your new hardware from the 2K8 install disk.

4)     At the install Windows screen Select your regional settings and Next

5)     Select Repair your computer

6)     System Recovery Options should be blank for BRM, click Next

7)     Select Windows Complete PC Restore

8)     At the alert window select cancel

9)     Select Restore a different backup and Next

10) Click Advanced and Search for a backup on the network

11) Select yes to connect to the network

12) Enter the unc path to the computer and share above and OK

13) Enter your credentials and OK

14) Select  the backup and Next

15) Select the backup time to restore to and Next

16) Next

17) Finish (note the drive you restore to will need to be at least the same size as the drive that the computer was imaged from)

18) Confirm that you want to format the new drive and OK

Then as Corey said, don't reboot the restored machine.

On the target server open explorer, right click on the drive letter for the VHD and click eject.

Go Back and reboot the server.

I think this woud work using 2008 R2 /2008 R2, however I didn't test that.

The input box is messed up so I can't see half of what I'm typing.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:39 AM
  • I am curious to followup on this thread, does anyone have idea how to proceed if your iSCSI target is not itself a microsoft server device?

for example, it is a 3rd party NAS:iSCSI device. MS Server Backups are stored on the iSCSI target.  The Target drive is visible in "local drive management" but as such it does not have a drive letter associated with it.

I am currently looking at how you might do a 'bare metal restore' from such an iSCSI target and am having some trouble.

- it seems you can't just temporarily assign a drive letter to the target and access it, despite it claiming to be an NTFS volume (after assign drive letter, permission is denied when trying to browse into the volume?)

- it isn't clear how to get access to the backup repository stored in this manner - so that it might be suitable to use as a bare-metal recovery 'datastore'.

For example, might there be a way,

-- to run the windows backup agent which is using the iscsi target, and 'export' a backup - based on data in the iscsi storage target  - and generate a VHD? file on local/mapped drive storage ; which then could be used for bare metal backup

-- or possibly some other way to temporarily access the iscsi volume; export it as a \\UNC\share target which is then suitable as a bare-metal-recovery datatstore?

Any comments or thoughts are appreciated!

Tim Chipman

Monday, January 20, 2014 4:35 PM
  • 1) I installed free nas on one of my pc , installed iscsi target , did the backup of my server 2008 r2,

2) then scheduled  my server to do few more full system backups.

3)  Made the windows 7 disk as per instructions in the link below, added iscsi initiator in the disk.

glennmatthys.wordpress . com  /2012/01/07/add-iscsi-initiator-to-the-windows-server-20082008r2sbs-2008sbs-2011-installation-dvd/

(please remove space before and after the . )

3) replaced the hard driver of the server and managed to run iSCSI initiator.

4) entered the ip address of the iSCSI NAS in target , then selected the volume.

5) Closed the iSCSI initiator window.

4 ) selected the System image recovery , this time my backup images were there, selected one and restored the server.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Somente para deixar registrado, para quem precisar!!!

Para recuperar um backup baremetal realizado em iSCSI, basta conectar o disco a um computador na rede e compartilhar o caminho.

Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:56 PM