none
Windows 2003 sever rebooted unepxectedly due to classpnp.sys

Question

• Windows 2003 sever rebooted unepxectedly due to classpnp.sys issue.

Can anyone help me on this  What is the use of classpnp.sys file and how to stop this issue?

STACK_COMMAND:  .tss 0x28 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    CLASSPNP!SubmitTransferPacket+bb
    f76f5607 5e              pop     esi

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  8

SYMBOL_NAME:  CLASSPNP!SubmitTransferPacket+bb

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: CLASSPNP

IMAGE_NAME:  CLASSPNP.SYS

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  45d6a080

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x7f_8_CLASSPNP!SubmitTransferPacket+bb

BUCKET_ID:  0x7f_8_CLASSPNP!SubmitTransferPacket+bb

Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, the hardware drivers and the firmware first.

If it does not work, please right click on Classpnp.sys to check if the version is lower than 5.2.3790.2600. If so, I would like to suggest you install the following hotfix to update the Classpnp.sys.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912593

You may also test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is any third party software conflict. For the detailed steps of how to perform a Clean Boot environment, please refer to the following steps:

1.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

3.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

4.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

5.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

6.     Click OK, and then click Restart.

What is the result in Clean Boot?

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c86ebae5-e235-4394-8171-51a4310c80ed

Password: 1)Tj5W77Qvk1

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Run” box and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the issue appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, the hardware drivers and the firmware first.

If it does not work, please right click on Classpnp.sys to check if the version is lower than 5.2.3790.2600. If so, I would like to suggest you install the following hotfix to update the Classpnp.sys.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912593

You may also test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is any third party software conflict. For the detailed steps of how to perform a Clean Boot environment, please refer to the following steps:

1.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

3.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

4.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

5.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

6.     Click OK, and then click Restart.

What is the result in Clean Boot?

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c86ebae5-e235-4394-8171-51a4310c80ed

Password: 1)Tj5W77Qvk1

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Run” box and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the issue appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:52 AM
  • HI, Thanks for your information. I will let you know once i have update.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Monday, November 08, 2010 2:20 AM