Errors with GPO startup script to set DNS servers on client computers RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a GPO startup script to set DNS servers for all my domain member client computers because they use use static IPs instead of DHCP.  Recently, I've been purchasing client computers with SSDs.  During startup, I receive the following errors:

"The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has successfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator.", followed by:

"Startup script failed.
        GPO Name : DNS Client
        GPO File System Path : \\XXXX.local\SysVol\XXXX.local\Policies\..........\Machine
        Script Name: dns_servers.bat"

Is there a better way to set DNS servers for clients in AD than using a startup script?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:45 PM

All replies

• HI
    1"I am using a GPO startup script to set DNS servers for all my domain member client computers"
    what's content about your startup script ?

2."I've been purchasing client computers with SSDs.  During startup, I receive the following errors:"
    do you mean this new computer has been added to wse domain then it not apply the start script and produce the error?  

3.in general,we can set preferred DNS to ip of wse server and the alternative DNS with isp on hardware router in SBS environment.so when the user are using laptop and he take this computer to  home,he will not need to change the static ip for himself to match his home network.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:47 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:46 PM