none
Deploying printers via GPO to Windows XP

Question

• Hi,

Can I get some help with the subject question: deploying printers via GPO to windows XP.  I have been trying everything I can think of and nothing so far has worked consistently.

I have tried deploying the printer by just creating a GPO, then going back to the 2008 server choosing the printer then selecting to deploy using the GPO created (per machine).  I have the CSE installed however the printer does not show up in my list of printers.

I have tried deploying the printer by creating a GPO with computer pref. mapped to a printer on the server, then applied the GPO to the security group... the printer still did not show up in my list of printers

I have tried deploying the printer by creating a GPO, editing both the "user logon & start up" adding "PushprinterConnections.exe" to both independently... the printer still did not show up in my list of printers.

I'm at wits end here with this, I've checked the drivers: all are using the "Win Print" processor, and PCL6 drivers.  I can get one of the printers to deploy but only if I apply the GPO directly to an OU with the computer in it.  However, I have deleted the GPO, and I still get the same printer mapped, although the printer says it cannot connect since it no longer exists.

Can anyone help me with this?

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Am 27.09.2010 16:19, schrieb hypnoticautopsy:

deploying printers via GPO to windows XP. I have been trying
    everything I can think of and nothing so far has worked
    consistently.

You did not try everything.
    The good old con2prt.exe from Resource Kit works always.
    Aswell, "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" in script work always.

I have tried deploying the printer by creating a GPO with computer
    pref.

Deploy it to USER, not computer and do not forget to deploy KB943729
    to all XP clients.

PushprinterConnections.exe

The origin name of it is:
    Thedevelopercannotstoplaughingaboutadminsusingit.exe

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:    www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    NNTP Bridge: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:33 PM
  • "You did not try everything.
    The good old con2prt.exe from Resource Kit works always.
    Aswell, "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" in script work always"

Yes, the rundll32 trick always works, however that only maps users to printers; a specific set that will follow no matter what computer they long onto, unless I create a variety of scripts.  The reason I'm trying to use the "per machine" GPO; is to restrict rather limit the possiblity for someone to accidently print a document in the wrong location.  Hense if a user logs onto a workstation in area X, they will only see printers in area X, not all the printers they had in area C, D, and A which by using a script will show.  I'm quite sure I can write a script that upon log off deletes the printers or even maps printers based upon a printer  group but the key is to produce a script which will only map printers in a given location.   Windows Server 2008 was supposed to take care of that, which is why I'd rather use GPO over creating an elaborate log on/off script.

"Deploy it to USER, not computer and do not forget to deploy KB943729
    to all XP clients."

I've tried that as well, my WSUS has already pushed the CSE KB... this still does not work.. or maybe im just creating the GPO incorrectly.  Here is what I did:

1) Create the GPO, 2) Edit the Machine pref. under "Control Panel" to deploy a TCP/IP printer: I used DNS name verse IP addy, 3) Select the option to replace, 4) check the box to remove the printer if the policy is no longer applied.

I kept getting a bunch of old printer mappings, so I ended up re-imaging the workstation, now Im getting an error message in the event log which states the GPO was not applied because the host is unknown...WTF?

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi hypnoticautopsy,

Yes, the GPP has a lot to prove till it becomes a good replacement of a login script printer installation. But it is fine for mapping network drives and adding / changing registry keys. So, what you are going to do then ?

Well, something simple :

- Create computer groups based on 'printers area' and use GPP to add for each of those groups a unique registry key that has different values for each computer group. Assign the GPP at the computer level. Lets say you have created the Computers_ET2 group - you create a registry key PRINTER having the ET2 value in HKLM\System.

- create a user login script that reads the registry key value (PRINTER / ET2) and then do the printers installation accordingly. In kixtart it is so simple, you cannot go wrong with it.

In this scenario, you have solved the problem of printers assigned to computers even if it is a user logon script.

Monday, September 27, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

To apply Group Policy, we must link the Group Policy Object (GPO) to the OUs which contain the computers and users.

I would like to suggest you perform the following test to check if we can successfully deploy the shared printers. In this way, we can check if you did any steps incorrectly.

1.    Launch Server Manager and install Print and Document Services role.

2.    Launch Active Directory Users and Computers and create a new OU named as PrintOU.

3.    Create a new user or computer in PrintOU.

4.    Launch Group Policy Management Console, right click on PrintOU and select Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here, name it as PrintGPO.

5.    Right click on PrintGPO and click Edit, navigate to User Configuratoin\Preferences\Control Panel Settings.

6.    Right click Printers, select New and Shared Printer.

7.    Select Create for Action box and type \\PrinterServer\PrinterName in the Share path box and click OK.

After that, please check the result. If you fail in any steps, please feel free to let me know.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/01/how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-dynamically-map-printers-with-roaming-profiles/

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f073bd10-12a4-4db8-9e0f-4b56767e2fb7

Password: i09-RGv6#7

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Collect GPMC log

============

a. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

c. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Ok, I've been working with trying to get this situation resolved.  I have IMO tried everything under the sun to get these printers to deploy to my XP boxes.  Microsoft support is basically no help as I have exceeded the knowledge of the engineers I've been dealing with.   So I basically have a few questions:

1. Do you need to have "pushprinterconnections.exe" in the policy machine start up script, if the printers are being deployed per machine?  And is that exactly what needs to be  put into the script, ie.  just put the "pushprinterconnections.exe" into the script window?  According to MS, the answer is "NO", how ever searching this forum and many others; the answer is "YES", infact one forum stated specifically the need for the 2003 version over the 2008.

2. Is there a specific naming convention required in 2008 that is not required in 2003, ie. one of my printer names is FB2-1409-HP4250?  I have time and time again checked the printer name, policy name, and printer being deployed in the policy to ensure the name of the printer is correct... however I keep getting the same event log error message:  Event ID 4098, group policy could not apply the printer because the printer name is invalid..WTF??!

3. Is there any specific editing that must be done to the GPO in order for it to run the CSEs, or editing to a workstation to enable or interpret??

4. If I am deploying the printers by using GPO, do I need to edit the machine prefs to reflect the selected printer?

Trust me, I have tried deploying these printers 100+ different ways and none have worked.  MS states that all that needed to be done was to right click on the printer, select deploy with GPO, select the policy, select per machine... and call it a night...          After checking the event log with MS on phone, the printer did not deploy as the MS rep thought, in the event log I get EVENT ID 4098 and 8098.

I would really love it if ANYONE can help me out with this!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:28 PM