Hyper-v 2012R2 VM with virtual fiber channel added cannot able to checkpoint RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the scenario, 

I provisioned virtual hard disk to hyper-V server deployed VMs as VHDX format and i could able to do "checkpoint" all the VMs. But once I add virtual fiber channel adapter to the VM then I try to do "checkpoint" again i could not able to do, got the following error.

I read the blogs saying about the "pass through" disk. But here I am not using any passthrough disk. why the checkpoint still fail!!!

If I remove Fiber Channel Adapter, I can able to do checkpoint on the same VM.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:06 PM

All replies

• Checkpoints are not compatible with virtual fibre channel.  

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18698.hyper-v-virtual-fibre-channel-troubleshooting-guide.aspx#Limitations

tim

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, May 22, 2017 2:44 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, I did noticed that. But my question is what makes difference to the VM cannot take snapshot after adding the FC.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Thanks for your answer, I did noticed that. But my question is what makes difference to the VM cannot take snapshot after adding the FC.

The official document only mentioned it is not a supported scenario for taking snapshot for VM which using VFC , it didn't mentioned the root cause .

As we know , snapshot uses the technology "differencing disk" of virtual hard disk (VHD) , but , the pass-though disk and VFC volume is not a VHD .

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:40 AM