none
Cannot connect to server via hostname RRS feed

• Question

• When I ping this server, it replies with the correct IP address. However, if I want to RDP to it, I can only do it by IP and not hostname.

If I go by hostname, it returns this error:

"Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the remote computer because there is a time or date difference between your computer and the remote computer. Make sure your computer's clock is set to the correct time, and then try connecting again. If the problem occurs again, contact your network administrator or the owner of the remote computer."

I verified that there is no date or time difference, which I doubt would be the cause of the problem anyway since I'm able to RDP to that server via IP address just fine.

I found this article:

http://andywolf.com/windows-2008-r2-server-loses-network-connectivity/#comments

It details the same symptoms, except the fact that it says they ran this command:

netsh trace start scenario=netconnection capture=yes report=yes tracefile=c:\net.etl

And it said that they discovered kernel socket leaks as a result. I did not find anything that indicated kernel socket leaks.

any ideas?

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hiya,

Just to add some knowledge.

When you connect using hostname your connecting using Kerberos. When your connecting on IP your using a different protocol.

Kerberos requires that all the domain related configurations are correct that is; servername and domain name resolveable in DNS, AD, Host/<servername> SPN created, time is in synch with the domain(PDC), server object created in AD.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi

You need to run couple of test to make sure the host name is resolving to the correct IP.

Form another working machine run nslookup and put this computer hostname then hostname with FQDN and make sure it is returning the correct IP.

If its not then try clearing cache on the local machine form cmd with ipconfig /flushdns and on you DNS server with dnscmd /clearcache. Try again to resolve the hostname if still the same.

Check in the DNS console and make sure this host got the correct IP address assigned to it if not delete the record and release and renew the IP if you are using dynamic IP. If you are using static then ipconfig /registerdns.

It could be the DNS suffix issue.

Please update with the above.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:09 PM

All replies

• But are the times the same? I've seen cases where the time looked the same, but the time zones were different and so there was 6 hours time difference between the servers because 6 AM GMT is different from 6 AM CST.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:04 AM
  • There are no time issues with this server. I verified that everything as far as time is exactly what it's supposed to be.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Hiya,

Just to add some knowledge.

When you connect using hostname your connecting using Kerberos. When your connecting on IP your using a different protocol.

Kerberos requires that all the domain related configurations are correct that is; servername and domain name resolveable in DNS, AD, Host/<servername> SPN created, time is in synch with the domain(PDC), server object created in AD.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi

You need to run couple of test to make sure the host name is resolving to the correct IP.

Form another working machine run nslookup and put this computer hostname then hostname with FQDN and make sure it is returning the correct IP.

If its not then try clearing cache on the local machine form cmd with ipconfig /flushdns and on you DNS server with dnscmd /clearcache. Try again to resolve the hostname if still the same.

Check in the DNS console and make sure this host got the correct IP address assigned to it if not delete the record and release and renew the IP if you are using dynamic IP. If you are using static then ipconfig /registerdns.

It could be the DNS suffix issue.

Please update with the above.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:09 PM
  • tnx.very good
    Monday, March 6, 2017 12:26 PM