none
IDLE MAINTENANCE TASK WINDOWS 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Last days I have a problem with Idle Maintenance Task which keeps running hours when the laptop is idle. When I tougch the mouse it stops but after some minutes idle starts again. It never finishes anymore.

Before this task has been finished after some minutes, repeated again  after some minutes and sucessfully

completed by the system. It has never taken so long time without finishing.

Have also tried Manual Maintenanace but as it has taken more than 6 hours I have stopped.

The result of Regular Maintenanace : " the opeartor or administrator has refused".

Have made scanning by SFC and DISM with positive results but  it has not changed the situation.

Have also restored the system to the earlier date before the updates from 14th April have been installed.

It has not solved the problem as well.

The task is only stopped when I change in the setting the time for this operation /have marked 4 h./ so it is stopped by the user setting but not completed by the system.

Have also uninstalled McAfee Security Center to check but the problems has not been solved, after this trial have installed again.

Would appreciate some advices how to fix this issue.

Thank you in advance.

EWAGOSIA

Friday, April 29, 2016 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi EWAGOSIA,

According to your description, I suggest that we could check in Clean Boot to avoid the effects of third party software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The Automatic Maintenance task is a built-in scheduled task, we could try to disable Automatic Maintenance. Please check the link below

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-automatic-maintenance-in-windows-8-1-and-windows-8/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

Thanks for your reply.

Have checked in Clean Boot and no change with  Idle Maintenance process, again was taking many hours

without completing by the system only stopped when tougched the mouse.

Have also disabled both tasks : Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance in the Task Scheduler

but next day the system Windows 8.1 has changed them into enable.

Would appreciate some furhter possible advices.

Thanks and best regards,

EwaGosia

Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Hi EWAGOSIA,

The task when run, will carry out task like security updating and scanning, Windows software updates, Disk Defragmentation, Disk Volume Errors, System Diagnostics, etc. we need to see what does the automatic task do. Then, determine why it take long time. Please check the link below.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/automatic-maintenance-windows-8

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

This feature is completely automated, and only when the system is idle. If you began using the system, maintenance tasks will be suspended. So it usually does not affect normal use. I suggest that we could open this function for System security.

If you want to disable it, please try the command in the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766529(v=ws.11).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:34 PM

• Edited by EWAGOSIA Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:55 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:06 PM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

Thanks for your reply with given links.

Have used the tools of chdsk/f/r and Memory diagnotic (from Cotro Panel Administrative Tools ) and the results are ok.

Have uninstalled used McAfee security to chek.

After a/m steps the problem with Idle Maintenance lasting hours has not been fixed.

With he command "schtasks/query" have found the list of tasks uploaded into OneDrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=463181992FF912C!5190&authkey=!AGJ7a3X8W2Ytjtg&ithint=file%2ctxt

Can yoy maybe take a look ?

Additionally please be informed that as have HD with buit in SSHD disc I have disabled defragmentation in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Disc optimization.

Would appreciate your further assistance.

Thanks and best regards,

EWAGOSIA

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:47 PM
  • Hi EWAGOSIA,

I read the files you upload. But it shows some tasks are ready and there isn’t related information. I suggest that we could temporary disable some features, such as Windows Update and Back Up. Then we could check again. If it still needs a long time in Idle Maintenance Task, we could try to see the scheduled task log. Please check the link below.

http://superuser.com/questions/164896/how-to-see-scheduled-task-logs

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

Thank you veru much for your attention and reply.

Would like to ask you - could you please give me more details reg :

"we could temporary disable some features, such as Windows Update and Back Up"

What exactly I have to do ? I would appreciate your explanation.

By the way - I have heart from somebody that it could happen that some of the Windows Updates from March /have installed many important and also optional/ can cause this problem with Idle Maintenance.

Do not know if it could be true but if it is so there shoud be reaction also from other users..

Thank you in advance and best regards,

EWAGOSIA

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

I would like to ask you how can I see the schedule task log.

Have looked into the given link but when open :  C:\windows\tasks the folder is empty so can not find \SCHEDLGU.TXT.

Please advice.

Thanks and best regards,

EWAGOSIA

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi EWAGOSIA,

Perhaps my last reply was not quite clear. We could turn off the function in the Control Panel, such as Windows Update or Back up to check. Please check the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-8

Also we could install the important update, after you install all updates to check if it still takes a long time. For the schedule task log, we could get more information in the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722006(v=ws.11).aspx

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

Thanks for your reply and explanation with the given links.

Have checked and the function of File History /In Windows 8.1 Control Panel there is no Back up only File History/ is turned off. Also when turned off Windows Update - no change in the existing problem with Idle Maintenance lasting hours.

Maybe the possible source of the problem with no-ending Idle Maintenance could be connected with the following task in Task Scheduler :

Microsoft - Windows - Diagnosis

The result of the run is "stopped"

Furher when I have looked into :

Event Viewer - Applications and Services - Microsoft - Windows - Diagnosis - Scheduled -Action

have found reapiting critical error ID 100 :

"During the system maintenance there have been found problems required user's attention. There

has been sent a message to the Action Center".

This error is reapiting since  22nd March and I think the same time the problem with maintenance has started.

The question is that there is no message in the Action Center - where I can find it ?

If you still have any suggestions/advices I will appreciate.

By the way I would like to ask you - due to this problem with the maintenance task in my Windows 8.1 system if I update to Windows 10 could the problem be fixed ?

Thanks and best regards,

EWAGOSIA

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hi EWAGOSIA,

Thank you for your reply. The event viewer doesn’t provide some special information. For Windows 8.1, I suggest that we could try refresh. Please follow the steps in the link below.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-refresh-windows-8-installation-without-losing-your-data

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:45 AM
  • The best thing to do is reset or refresh your PC. Have you tried System Restore?
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:03 PM