none
TS 2008 - remote shadow problem

Question

• Hi,
    shadowing an user session, the shadowed user can't view anything while the shadower is ok.

Is it a bug?

The terminal server applications are available with TS RemoteApp.

Thanks in advance,
    Simone

Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• How are you shadowing?  Are the shadower and shadowee RemoteApp sessions or full desktop session?

Thanks

Rong

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:32 PM
  • The shadower is a full desktop session, the shadowed is a remoteapp session.

Thanks
    Simone
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Hi Simone,

can you post the screenshot of the shadower that you say here in the forum?

MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterpise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Shadowing from full desktop session to remoteapp session (or vice versa) is not supported

Thanks

Rong
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi,
    there is no way to shadow a remoteapp session... I have tried to shadow a remoteapp session from another remoteapp session (I have published tsadmin.msc) and the result is that the shadower loses your terminal server session (mstsc.exe is not present between the processes) and the shadowed session freezes.

Thanks
    Simone
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hello Simogoose
    Shadowing a RemoteApp session is not  a supported scenario in WS08 or WS08 R2.

Thanks for your feedback - this functionality is something that MS can consider supporting in future versions of TS.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:33 PM
    Owner
  • Has any additional progress been made within the Terminal Services team with respect to combining Shadowing and RemoteApp since April?  There are many scenarios that I can think of where this would be very useful in my own personal networked life.  I retain a VPN connection to my home network where-ever I have to do work.  I'd love to be able to open up RemoteApp-hosted instances of applications hosted by my home server without creating additional sessions.  Consider a single Outlook instance that you can connect to from any of your desktops--even simultaneously.

I only recently discovered the well-hidden Shadowing functionality as a whole.  I would say that, in general, Shadowing needs to be a more prominent and fleshed-out feature in Terminal Services.  I have many workstations that I use; it would be nice to be able to access a shared desktop at each of them without continuously creating new sessions only to immediately run "shadow x" after logging in (or having to remember to close RDP before switching stations).  Better still would be shared RemoteApp sessions--literally seeing exactly the same Outlook window (without the containing remote desktop) on any workstation I use would be fantastic--it would seem almost "magic."

I'd ask that the Terminal Services team think this through.  I feel strongly that, done right, Shadowing + RemoteApp would make for a great way to allow your applications to be available anywhere without the expense of setting up, locking, unlocking, and tearing down RDP sessions.  Seamless, real time interaction with the same app on multiple workstation desktops.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 10:02 PM