none
High speed backend network

Question

• Not sure if this is the place but .....

I have a small office network with handful of workstations and  2 servers, lets say FS1 and FS2.

The "frontend" network for this is on a 192.168.1.x gigabit network.

The 2 servers are also connected by a 10G "backend" network, FS1=192.168.100.1,FS2=192.168.100.2

I cannot get the Windows network client (ie.net view , use , shares etc) to use the backend network.

Ive tried putting entries into dns, \etc\hosts and \etc\lmhosts all to no avail. They all end up with system 53 error, network path not found, or somesuch, although ping works fine and shows the various names ive used resolve to the backend connection.

What would be the correct way to go here

thanks

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:03 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing you didn't setup the network?

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Sounds like potentially a DNS issue. What happens when you try to map it via IP eg. 192.168.100.1 directly?
    Monday, March 20, 2017 9:28 PM
  • First attempt was to put entries in dns, FS1H and FS2H, with there respective backend ip numbers. But "net view \\FS1H" bombed with error 53.

Then thought maybe its not mapping FS1H to the correct netbios name, so put entries for into \etc\hosts which overrode the dns entries but "net view \\FS1" bombed again.

Then a bit of googling led me to put entries into lmhosts so I put an entry similar to \etc\hosts in there , but it bombed again.

In both instances "ping FS1H" or "ping FS1" will show it routing via the backend

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:49 PM
  • I'm guessing you didn't setup the network?

Nope this is me.

Has been working ok as a 1G network for ages.  But have just acquired the 2 10G nics and want to get the servers talking to each other over that network. Which they do, IP wise. Just cant get any of the share stuff to work over it.

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Hi drave,

>In both instances "ping FS1H" or "ping FS1" will show it routing via the backend

If the "ping" command could show the correct IP address of the host in "[ ]"? And could you visit the shares on the hosts successfully? If the ping could return the correct IP address, then the name resolution is well:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940100.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hi drave,

>In both instances "ping FS1H" or "ping FS1" will show it routing via the backend

If the "ping" command could show the correct IP address of the host in "[ ]"? And could you visit the shares on the hosts successfully? If the ping could return the correct IP address, then the name resolution is well:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940100.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Well the ping works so I guess the problem is the second part " If this also fails, the problem is in establishing a session."  And as far as I can tell dns,lmhosts etc are correct . so um .... why cant it establish a session ??

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:45 AM
  • Well after more googling and reading , turns out I didnt have to do anything.

Smb 3 has something called SMBmultichannel , which automagically detects ALL the connections between 2 end points and in my case , chooses the backend network as its main connection. I took all the extra stuff out of \etc\hosts, \etc\lmhosts and continued to refer to each server by its original name (FS1,FS2) and not the new ones (FS1H,FS2H) and tahdah it works fine

thanks all

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi drave,

Glad to hear you have made it work and thanks for your feedback. Then, you may mark the solution as answer, so that the useful information can be highlighted.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:46 AM