none
Mouse Pointer invisible after successful Remote Desktop Session

Question

• I use Remote Desktop to get into my Windows 7 machine at work from my Windows 7 machine at home and the remote session works just fine.  The dual monitor setup I have at work collapses to just a single desktop for the Remote Desktop session while I am remote.

When I physically log into my Windows 7 machine at work after using Remote Desktop, the mouse pointer is invisible on the primary monitor and will only show up on the 2nd monitor. I have tried to switch the primary and secondary monitors after this happens, but that does not fix the problem and the same physical monitor does not display the mouse pointer on it.

To be clear I will say that the mouse functions on both monitors, I can click on things and interact with all elements on the screen via the keyboard. If I correctly guess where the mouse pointer is located at I can click and drag things to the 2nd montior to be able to use them, but I cannot see the mouse pointer at all.

A reboot will fix the problem, but is there some other way than having to restart the machine after every Remote Desktop session?

Thanks a lot.

~Matt

Monday, June 06, 2011 12:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Please download and install the latest video driver for your PC at work from the manufacturer's site, as well as download/install the latest mouse driver.  You should also consider updating the video card firmware if available, and the bios for your PC.

In my experience when there is errant behavior with switching a session endpoint between remote and physical console the problem is almost always caused by an incompatibility with the physical video card driver.  Usually updating the driver, firmware, etc., will solve it, however, in rare cases I have had to use a different card.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>A reboot will fix the problem, but is there some other way than having to restart the machine after every Remote Desktop session?

To work around this problem, you can use the Remote Desktop Services Manager MMC snap-in/tsadmin.msc to reset the client session to recover from this situation. You may have to reset several sessions until Remote Desktop service recovers completely. Resetting the client forces a termination of the client session.

WS2008: Terminal Server Management and Administration
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/15/ws2008-terminal-server-management-and-administration.aspx

To use Remote Desktop Services Manager tool, you have to install RSAT on the Windows 7 computer.

Description of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958830

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 06, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Thanks for the direction, I have downloaded and installed that tool as you described and the next time it happens I will see if I can reset the connection with this tool to clear up the problem.

Thanks.

~Matt

Monday, June 06, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Does it make any difference if you use the mstsc /span or /multimon option?

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:24 PM
  • I did try the configuration option checkbox to "use all my monitors" and that presented me with a black screen.  I unchecked that box and reconnected and was able to sucessfully work remotely, but when I came in this morning the resolutions on my monitors were really messed up (reverted back to 800 x600) and the primary and secondary monitors were switched.  I rebooted to resolve this.  Next time I remote in I will also try the Remote Desktop Tools to force a session log out to see if that will resove this issue.

I use one monitor when remoting in at home, so doing /span is not advisable because I really want to collapse all the programs onto one screen like it does automatically, I just would like the mouse to work after I login normally.

Oh, one more thing; This morning even with the resolutions all messed up and the monitors swapped, the primary monitor did not have the mouse visible.

~Matt

Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:59 PM
  • what is the service pack level of these boxes? both at SP1?

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:44 AM
  • I tried this out with the dual monitor box running Win7 RTM and home box with Win7 SP1

logged in as admin to work box. left the session active.

then used RDP to connect to work from the home PC. session connected.

Simply closed the session at home PC, then logged back in the work PC as the same user.

No issues with mouse.

Is your scenario any different? any specific sequence of steps to reproduce the issue?

Since this is not readily reproducible i suspect it might be something at your end that is causing problem.

Try booting the work PC in safe mode with networking and test out how it works out. You can then test with another PC at office.

Let us know if it still has issues.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Any update on this issue?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:08 AM
  • The box at work is Windows 7 Professional x64 on the latest service pack and windows updates.

The box at home is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on the latest service pack and windows updates.

I did try it just this weekend and after remoting into my work machine I disconnected, then on Tuesday when I came into the office I logged in and as before the primary monitor does not have the mouse visible.  I then used the Remote Desktop Toolkit to force a disconnect (of myself) from this machine.  That kicked me out to the login screen (welcome/lock) and after logging in the mouse issue was still present.  I repeated this forced logout 5 or 6 times and there was no change in the behavior.

I rebooted the machine and all is well now.

Today I will try and login from another machine here at work and see if I can reproduce this issue.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I just tried from another couple of machines here at work.

From an XP machine to my Win 7 machine, after RD session both monitors came up properly, but programs were shifted and resized based on remote computer's resulution, which is expected.

From a Win 7 machine to my Win 7 machine, after RD session both monitors work properly and all windows are where I left them.

From home I am going over the VPN, but I am also going from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 7 Pro at work.

I will test on a different version of windows at home to see if that narrows it down a bit.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Please download and install the latest video driver for your PC at work from the manufacturer's site, as well as download/install the latest mouse driver.  You should also consider updating the video card firmware if available, and the bios for your PC.

In my experience when there is errant behavior with switching a session endpoint between remote and physical console the problem is almost always caused by an incompatibility with the physical video card driver.  Usually updating the driver, firmware, etc., will solve it, however, in rare cases I have had to use a different card.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:19 AM
  • I will try and update the video card drivers, mouse drivers and check on the BIOS firmware version.

As an additional test I tried to remote into my home machine from a 2nd machine at work, then remote from home (remotely) into my work machine, but this test did not have a problem.  I think because the remote session TO home collapsed both monitors into one monitor, then connecting to work with just one monitor did not have the problem.  I do not have a system at work available that has 2 monitors to test with spanning monitors to home, then remote back to my machine at work or I would try that too.

I will post an update after I update the drivers as suggested and remote in from home once more.

Thanks.

~Matt

Thursday, July 07, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi Matt,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Brent Hu Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:12 AM
  • After following TP's latest advice I installed updates for my video card and SetPoint (Logitech) drivers, both had more recent versions available by 1 or 2 releases, and then logged in remotely this weekend.  When I came in this morning both monitors were working properly and the mouse pointer was also working correctly!

Thanks for the assistance from all!

I have marked the appropriate response as 'Answer'.

~Matt

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:05 PM