none
Win Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop User CAL installation RRS feed

• Question

• I am administrating a Windows Server 2008 R2 environment with 2 Remote Desktop users.  I wanted to add a 3rd user, so I purchased a RD User CAL. In VLSC, the product is "WinRemote Desktop SrvcsCAL 4.5 wSP1 w/Application Virt for TerminalSrv".  I was instructed to download the ISO and burn it to a CD, which I did.  On the CD, there are 3 installers - Client, Server, and Sequencer.  Which installer(s) do I need to run?  And do I need to do anything besides running this installer to get the 3rd RD user?

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no need to download/install anything unless you plan on using App-V.  Based on what you have written you do not need App-V.

1. Using Server Manager, please add the Remote Desktop Services Role with the Remote Desktop Session Host and Remote Desktop Licensing Role Services.

2. After restarting, please open RD Session Host Configuration (tsconfig.msc), set your Licensing mode to Per User, and Specify the name of your RD Licensing server.

3. Open RD Licensing Manager, Activate your server, and then install your RDS CAL(s) that you purchased.  You will need your authorization and license agreement numbers from your confirmation letter or the VLSC site.

If you do not want a user to use a RDS CAL, then they need to connect with the /admin command line switch, like this:

mstsc /admin

Only two concurrent Active users are permitted to use the /admin command line switch.  The third user will need to connect normally which means they will be issued a RDS Per User CAL.  For simplicity it is easier to purchase enough RDS Per User CALs for the total number of users you need to have connect and have them connect normally, but this costs more.  RDS licensing is not concurrent, meaning that each person needs a RDS CAL if they are not using the /admin switch.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:27 AM