none
Convert a XenServer vm-export backup to Virtual Server or Hyper-V (like xva2vhd), possible solutions? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello together,

i would like to know if there is any possible Step-by-Step-Guide where is in detail explained, what you need when you want to convert an export backup from a XenServer 5.0.0 Update-3 Virtual Machine.

The reason why i ask for an Guide as i didn't find something about that way of conversion. You will find many solutions how to convert a Virtual Server (.vhd) Machine to or into XenServer but not the other way how you get back that machine to maybe Virtual Server 2005 or into a Windows Server 2008 Virtual Machine.

I run on 2 SUN X4200M2 Server (1x XenServer 5.0.0 Update-3, 1x Windows Server 2008 (Hyper-V) SP2)  at the moment 3 Machines and 2 Testmachines. The 3 Machines are 2 Windows Server 2003 R2 and a Linux Virtual Machine. One of the Windows Server is ADC and second one is a File and Print Server. Now the XenServer was installed on that SUN Server to use the Free Version http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_1688615.asp.

Now the bad thing, the License as suggested isn't really working. Allways get the error about a wrong license file, but anyway. The backup is running atm the virtual machines from the console with the commands (to save them on a mobile mounted disk). Commands needs to be executed in the directory where you want have the files then.

xe vm-export vm=virtual-machine-name filename=how-the-filename-should-be-metadata.xva metadata=true name-label=virtual-machine-name
    xe vm-export vm=virtual-machine-name filename=how-the-filename-should-be.xva

For the worst case will happen you can import back the machines into a new installed XenServer, to get the machines back online for 30 days again (or even longer if you not plan to reboot after kernelupdates and your license is run out of time). But is it possible to hop over that Step and import that export direct or over a converter tool into Virtual Server 2005 and/or Server 2008 / Hyper-V compatible machine.

Any suggestions or anyone had solved such problem allready?
    Alien Life Form Enjoy Real Life - and YOU?!?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:47 PM

All replies