none
Server 2012 - WAPOS - Can't Remove Printer RRS feed

• Question

• So I go to Control Panel/Devices and Printers to add a printer. While there I see a printer that was decommissioned are a year ago. I didn't install it, I don't want it, and I can't remove it. Instead, I get a message, "[Window Title]
    Remove Device

[Main Instruction]
    This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

[Content]
    Epson Stylus Photo R320 (M) (redirected 2)

[OK]"

WTF? Of course I am the System Administrator (and the Domain and Enterprise Administrator). Why can't those PowerShell nerds write meaningful error messages?

Tomás Mason
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:00 AM

All replies

• Is this a local printer or a network shared one? There is a policy called "prevent deletion of printers" under  User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Printers. Check if this policy denied your deletion of the printer.

Thanks
    Zhang

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:56 AM
  • It was local (over a year ago, but it was decommissioned, removed, and sent to the dump). The policy is NOT enabled. Any other guesses?

Is this a local printer or a network shared one? There is a policy called "prevent deletion of printers" under  User Configuration �?? Administrative Templates �?? Control Panel �?? Printers. Check if this policy denied your deletion of the printer.

Thanks
    Zhang

Tomás Mason
    Friday, October 19, 2012 7:52 AM
  • It's obvious that no one at MS has any clue about the cause or  cure to this problem. I'm sure it will be fixed in the next decade when all MS servers are actually VMs on an iPhone.

Powershell Nerds Rule!!
    It was local (over a year ago, but it was decommissioned, removed, and sent to the dump). The policy is NOT enabled. Any other guesses?

Is this a local printer or a network shared one? There is a policy called "prevent deletion of printers" under  User Configuration �?? Administrative Templates �?? Control Panel �?? Printers. Check if this policy denied your deletion of the printer.

Thanks
    Zhang

Tomás Mason

Tomás Mason
    • Proposed as answer by jimmcse Monday, April 15, 2013 11:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jimmcse Monday, April 15, 2013 11:09 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:54 AM
  • The printer is probably owed by the "System" To delete the printer, log on as administrator, go to the security tab, change the ownership of the printer, delete the printer. Forgot to mention you need to give yourself the "manage this printer" permission before you delete it.

Jim

• Edited by jimmcse Monday, April 15, 2013 11:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DavidH4477 Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:01 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 11:11 PM
  • I've been struggling with this aswell, at least it is closely related. When trying to "Remove Device" from "Devices and Printers", it throws me an error msg: "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer". The way I finally could resolve this was going to device manager, and enabling the "show hidden devices". Then I remove these commisioned printers under "Print queues". For some reason there are multiple entries of the same printer. However, once deleting every single one with the same name, the printer is finally removed from system.

Hope this helps anybody.

• Proposed as answer by Joel Lehtonen Monday, June 10, 2013 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Thanks, this worked for me also.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Worked like a charm!
    Saturday, August 9, 2014 11:03 PM
  • Superb, worked perfectly.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:57 PM
  • This was it for me.  Thanks so much!
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:06 AM
  • Anyone have a solution for this issue in Windows 7? I'm not seeing Print Queues in the device manager.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:04 PM
  • Worked like a charm. The unwanted printers vanished from the list of queues after uninstalling from the Hardware Manager. This ended a lot of frustration.

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:15 PM
  •  Thanks, very useful!
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:40 PM
  • Thank you very much. This is working fine.... 

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:18 PM
  • This did not work for me but did push me in the right direction. I ended up having to remove mine from both WDS Printers and Software Devices after enabling show hidden devices.
    Monday, August 31, 2015 3:21 AM
  • Works as advertised. Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Thanks for your time! This worked for me too!
    Monday, November 9, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Thanks for this information. I'll pass it along.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:44 AM
  • Works perfectly!
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:06 AM
  • This solved my problem. Thanks.
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:50 PM
  • That worked for me!  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Same issue with a Server 2016 install and this is what worked for me 
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Thanks so much - worked for me!
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 4:44 PM