none
Unable to display current owner RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for some help on a issue with permissions. I've dealt with these not being owner of a file before and an usually get around it, but for some reason this one is especially tough.

I have a file that has no extension, it is just called test and is 0kb.  The file is located on a 2012r2 file server. I am unable to view any permissions as it states ""You do not have permission to view or edit the objects permission settings". For the owner the owner it states "unable to display current owner". when I click change, I get "You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings".

I've tried using third party tools(long path eraser) to delete the whole folder that the file is located in and they fail.I've tried using cmd as an administrator and I get access denied using takeown /f "e:\folderpath" /r

Ive confirmed there arent any record lock on the folder.

I've run out of options during my research. Help me obe wan kenobi your my only hope.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:51 PM

Answers

• I've tried all of these recommendations previous to posting and had no results. The user who originally had ownership of the folder came back from vacation and was able to delete the file. The file reappeared again, but I was then able to take ownership since I had previously changed the owner on the folder. I could then delete the file. I am still confused as to what exactly happened here, but I'm happy its gone.

I cant really mark this solved. but i would mark it as closed.

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:09 PM

All replies

• Might work through this one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/320081/you-cannot-delete-a-file-or-a-folder-on-an-ntfs-file-system-volume

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:54 PM
  • I've worked through that without any luck

It will also not let me rename of the folder and it says the folder is in use. I checked open files on computer management and closed what was in the folder and it still says its in use.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:37 PM
  • May also need to chkdsk the drive in case of file system corruption.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to refer to Solution 2 section in the link below:

Fix: You do not have Permission to View this Object’s Security Properties

https://appuals.com/fix-you-do-not-have-permission-to-view-this-objects-security-properties/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:31 PM
  • There may be a hex character as part of the name. 

Open an admin command prompt and run "dir /x" on the folder. That will show you the 8.3 name. Run takedown on the 8.3 name. Try to rename it, delete it, etc. 

Download an run Process Explorer from sysinternals.com. Use Ctrl+F to find any open handles.  

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:15 PM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 7:05 PM
  • I've tried all of these recommendations previous to posting and had no results. The user who originally had ownership of the folder came back from vacation and was able to delete the file. The file reappeared again, but I was then able to take ownership since I had previously changed the owner on the folder. I could then delete the file. I am still confused as to what exactly happened here, but I'm happy its gone.

I cant really mark this solved. but i would mark it as closed.

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:09 PM