none
Start menu stops working in terminals RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

We are running eight Windows Server 2016 terminals with roaming profiles. Everything have been working excellent until .1198-patch. Now six of them have no start menu because of crashing Shell Host Experience and Cortana.

We are getting these errors related to AppModel-Runtime:

CreateAppContainerProfile misslyckades för AppContainer Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy med felet 0x800705AA.
    CreateAppContainerProfile misslyckades med felet 0x800705AA eftersom det inte gick att registrera i brandväggen.

CreateAppContainerProfile misslyckades för AppContainer Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy med felet 0x800705AA.
    CreateAppContainerProfile misslyckades med felet 0x800705AA eftersom det inte gick att registrera i brandväggen.

A few more errors that occured related to AppReadiness:

Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy installation misslyckades för bebo. Fel: Det gick inte att registrera paketet. (1.1685231 sekunder)
    Appx-åtgärden RegisterPackageAsync på Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_10.0.14393.1198_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy misslyckades för användare bebo - error 0x800705AA: Windows cannot create the AppContainer profile for the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.7.0.14393_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy package.. (Fel: Det gick inte att registrera paketet.)

I've tried to re-register all apps, running sfc /scannow, dism with restorehealth. When re-registering all apps it works for a few minutes and then crashes again.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction or maybe have experienced this also and have a nice solution.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
    Andreas

Monday, June 12, 2017 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Andreas,

I have the same problem, even using User Profile Disk. I am with Microsoft Support in this case since beginning of june/2017. The problem appears related how Windows Firewall handle its register keys and hives, in special:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System

This hive it is too huge as well as the inbound and outbound firewall rules. So far, MS is still investigating this problem, there is not conclusion yet. If you will know any progress in this case, please let me know.

Best Regards

Antonio F. Vanucchi

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

What does 1198 patch mean in this case?

Does a new user face the same issue?

Do you see other related events logged?

Some general suggestions for you are to fully patch Windows systems and disable third party applications especially security software.

In addition, I would recommend to configure User Profile Disk instead of roaming profile as UPD offers several advantages which you can find within this article below:

Easier User Data Management with User Profile Disks in Windows Server 2012

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2012/11/13/easier-user-data-management-with-user-profile-disks-in-windows-server-2012/

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Hi!

What do you mean by .1198 patch in this case? It's fully patched to .1198, it was the 1198 patch that made the whole system go down in pieces :)

We run Defender on the servers, no third party apps.

All users, old and new experience these issues.

No other related events.

Best Regards
    Andreas

• Proposed as answer by JOhnray75 Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue but MS support is struggling to figure it out...
    Friday, August 25, 2017 11:57 PM
  • Sorry, no real solutions when it happens. Just reinstall, patch it and keep any new patches as far away as you possibly can. That seems to keep it alive for us, even though users keep getting corrupted/no opening start menus (roaming profiles..), but for that I only remove the TileDataLayer-folder to repair it.
    • Proposed as answer by JOhnray75 Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:14 AM
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

I have the same problem, even using User Profile Disk. I am with Microsoft Support in this case since beginning of june/2017. The problem appears related how Windows Firewall handle its register keys and hives, in special:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System

This hive it is too huge as well as the inbound and outbound firewall rules. So far, MS is still investigating this problem, there is not conclusion yet. If you will know any progress in this case, please let me know.

Best Regards

Antonio F. Vanucchi

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the information!

If you get any updates (or a patch/hotfix), I would really appreciate an update to this thread.
    As of now, we need to reinstall the terminals every other week :/

Best Regards
    Andreas

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:24 AM
  • Do you have any update?

Is there any hotfix for this issue?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Hi!

No updates on this :(

My solution now is to clean up this key every hour in a schedule task:

Best Regards
    Andreas

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Thank you for your respone.

Ok, yes this is also my workaround at the moment. :(

We will open an additional Case.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi Andreas:

After almost 5 months, Microsoft confirmed the bug and now is working in a patch. Until now I am waiting for it.

Best Regards

Antonio

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:39 PM
  • Hi Andreas:

After almost 5 months, Microsoft confirmed the bug and now is working in a patch. Until now I am waiting for it.

Best Regards

Antonio

Hi Antonio!

Sounds good, do they have any timeframe on the patch release?

Best Regards
    Andreas

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Hi Andreas:

Bad news my friend. I just receive an e-mail from Microsoft saying that this fix only will be incorporate in the next version of Windows Server 2016, no date scheduled for release.

So, in this actual version, this problem will not be fix. Nowaday, this is the behavior of Microsoft, complet disrespect for its customers. It´s a shame.

We will have to live together with this problem and its workaround. Sorry about i dind´t have a good solution for this case for all us.

Best Regards

Antonio

Friday, February 23, 2018 6:01 PM
  • What do you mean by 'clean up'?

Saturday, July 21, 2018 1:41 AM
  • What do you mean by 'clean up'?

Remove every item in the key :)

Best Regards
    Andreas

Saturday, July 21, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Can you please let me know how you have set this up. Is it a batch file and if so what is the script that you are running? Pretty sure I have this problem too and when I try to go into that key Regedit freezes.
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 6:47 AM
  • I did a small Powershell-script to take care of this issue.

Create a Powershell-script on your server containing this:

Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System" New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System"

Then run it as someone who as the rights to remove it, or maybe create a schedule task to do the magic.

• Edited by coldKingdom Friday, August 17, 2018 9:19 AM Typo
    • Proposed as answer by Kyle_87 Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:00 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 9:18 AM
  • Hi Andreas:

Good news for all of us!! I just tested in my LAB environment the RDS in the new Windows Server 2019 and all problems was resolved.

Soon, I will prepare a new VM in my production environment and I will monitor the registry hives to see any abnormal behaviour.

Best Regards

Antonio

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Does anyone have a Microsoft KB or anything from Microsoft that officially acknowledges this incident?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Hi guys,

We have the same issues on new RDS servers rolled out in Azure (3 session hosts).

Have been in procution since late last year but now in April 2019, they are having start menu (not functioning) issues as well as IE11 opens, flashes, and then closes immediately when you start it. You can start a WWW link and it loads that page but you cannot start a new tab. Admins in console can use IE fine, end users cant. And IEESC has been disbaled for both Admins and Users from day 1.

I cant believe MS have carried this start menu issue from WS12R2 as we were having the same problem there. Now on 2016.... If I propose 2019 RDS just after 4 months of 2016, mgmt will go crazy....

Anyone else having these issues?

Regards,

• Edited by NazimZima Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:25 PM
  • Hi NazimZima - we have same issue - starting late March 2019 across dozens of app servers.

has this started AFTER applying the March 2019 Cumulative Update?  We are having exactly the same issue post this update (we believe), also are you running Chrome on your servers and did you let that auto update around the 21st March 2019?

We have seen a lot less cases of the issue after tidying up our firewall rules as others have stated in this article.  If you are running RDS 2016 with User Profile Disks, you definitely want to look in to this... we hand hundreds of RDS servers with this issue and the cleanup has improved their performance (and reduced incidents of the task bar freezing).

Near the end of this article i have posted PowerShell we used to tidy up the dupe firewall rules on our servers.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/992e86c8-2bee-4951-9461-e3d7710288e9/windows-servr-2016-rdsh-firewall-rules-created-at-every-login?forum=winserverTS

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:35 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thank you!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:59 PM
  • same problem here, 2016 datacenter terminalserver (newest updates). deleting the regkey helps. but how long?
    • Edited by Pinguin86 Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:23 AM