none
Printer bug windows 2008R2? RRS feed

• Question

• I Noticed a weird bug:

make 2 local printers with the same port (lpt1) and driver  on the w2k8r2 server. I named them Test_A4 and TEST_A6 
    Now  first:  for some weird reason windows2k8r2 shows them as 1 printer in the printers & devices console and if you click with the right mouse button you can choose between test_a4 & test_a6 properties & preferences.
    Ok still no problem i guess MS had a reason to change this.

But if you press right mouse button and choose delete print queue --> test_A4 (delete queue even shows up when there is no queue in the printers at all) its deletes the whole printer instead of the Queue ?!??

Luckily it gives a warning : are you sure you want to delete this printer, because otherwise i would have deleted  the printer instead of the queue.

can somebody confirm this behavior? The server is citrix xenapp 6 server but i don't know if this also happens on normal servers.

Jan

Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

Thanks for the post.

Actually it is not a bug on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Print Queues represent the central object of interest for the Print Services System. Print Queues are used on Print Servers. Each Print Queue represents a printer or a number of homogeneous printers installed on the Print Server. In other words, a print queue is a representation of a print device (physical printer) in Microsoft Windows.

Deleting a Print Queue immediately removes the Print Queue from the list of Print Queues visible through enumeration, but does not affect open Print Client handles to Print Queues. The Print Queue is set into a state indicating that deletion is pending and the actual deletion is deferred until the last Print Client handle to the Print Queue is closed and the last queued Print Job has been processed by the Print Server.

For your information, here is the detailed information about Print Queue:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee380735(PROT.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by JJanJ Monday, July 12, 2010 10:42 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

Thanks for the post.

Actually it is not a bug on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Print Queues represent the central object of interest for the Print Services System. Print Queues are used on Print Servers. Each Print Queue represents a printer or a number of homogeneous printers installed on the Print Server. In other words, a print queue is a representation of a print device (physical printer) in Microsoft Windows.

Deleting a Print Queue immediately removes the Print Queue from the list of Print Queues visible through enumeration, but does not affect open Print Client handles to Print Queues. The Print Queue is set into a state indicating that deletion is pending and the actual deletion is deferred until the last Print Client handle to the Print Queue is closed and the last queued Print Job has been processed by the Print Server.

For your information, here is the detailed information about Print Queue:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee380735(PROT.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by JJanJ Monday, July 12, 2010 10:42 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for the answer Miles its clear now.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that the information was helpful to you. Hope you will enjoy our TechNet Forum.

Thanks,

Miles

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:55 AM