none
Ubuntu 18 Enhanced mode on Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V. Is this supposed to work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I created an Ubuntu VM on Win10 Pro 1909 and it runs in Enhanced Session mode with no problems. I have the XRDP login and can use multiple monitors, copy&paste, drive sharing and so on.

I need to put this machine on a Windows 2016 Server with Hyper-V.

Exporting the VM results in a v9 config, unsupported on Win2016 that is limited to v8.

So I just copied the VM diskon the 2016 server and recreated the VM, copying each of the setting from the Win10 VM.

Now, the VM starts and runs but I cannot use Enhanced session mode on it, just regular vmconnect session.

Hyper-V on win2016 is configured to use Enhanced session mode (Enhanced session policy and Enhanced session mode flagged).
    I ran the set-vm -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocket command to modify the newly created Ubuntu machine.
    From the Win2016 host I can access Win10 machines in Enhanced mode.
    From the Win2016 host I can connect the HyperV on the Win10 machine, and open the Ubuntu machine in Enhanced session mode.

So, basically, I'm pretty sure the Win2016 host is fine and configured and machines can run in Enh.Session mode, if they are Windows machines.

My question is: are Ubuntu VMs supported in Enhanced Session mode when running in Hyper-V on Windows 2016? I just find people referring to Windows guests or Ubuntu guests on Windows 10.
    If supported, what am I missing on my Win2016 host?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:39 AM

All replies

• Have you checked the steps here? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/learn-more/use-local-resources-on-hyper-v-virtual-machine-with-vmconnect
    If that doesn’t give you all the features, i would presume that not all might be available in WS2016, given that full enhanced mode for Linux is said to be in Windows 10 aka WS2019, though that is my guess only.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 8:25 PM
  • Yes, I read that document that, for sure, is wrong other than old (4 years ago).

It says the only guests supported are Windows guests, but the hyper-v wizard lets you create an Ubuntu 18 guest by downloading a pre-configured image, and this works flawlessly. So they miss one of the features of their own system.

For the configuration part, as I wrote in the first post, all the settings on the host are as described in the article you linked.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:22 PM